• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ 1304 media thikness +

messmedia

It's being months since I decided to buy me a wide format printer, but I still didn't do so. Changed my mind twice about the brand also, but, main reason was - our banks paused with leasing deals 'cause of Global Crisis announcements.

Now, It's back on!
So, I will have a meeting next Wednesday with MUTOH reseller about buying VJ 1304 printer.
Please, note that I live in extremely small country (Montenegro), and we DO NOT HAVE ANY dealership for wide format printers here. ... up until now, and we arranged that meeting because one of companies here is trying to get the dealership (and authorized service) for MUTOH. So, it is on the good side of buying Mutoh here - being able to get service at shortest time possible.

Now, THE QUESTION:
Is it true that MUTOH VJ 1304 has less abbility in printing on thicker materials?
Specification on M. site says 42 lbs in Max Media Weight/Rigid, while 1614 has 67 lbs. For example, I read about Roland VP that can print on materials up to 1mm. - is there information about Roland for example, in lbs?

What is regular - max weight of media You print on - banners for example? - For now, we use services of other companies that prints for us, and with banner, we can choose between 300 g/m2 up to 540 g/m2.
I don't understand lbs measure, but can MUTOH VJ 1304 print on these thicker, 540 g/m2 banners?

ChicagoGraphics

1mm banner material is not the same thickness as 1mm say sintra or something similar. Yes you will be able to print that on just about all printers. As to this weight you mentioned it could be 42lbs. max on the roll holder?

messmedia

I don't know about roll holder, information I wrote is from Mutoh site/ vj 1304/ specification ... - could be max roll weight, but, it said at specifications "Max Media Weight/Rigid"

Anyway, I would like it sooo much if what U said is true. But, 1mm thikness is information from ROLAND, is there information about MUTOH - max thikness of media - in milimeters??

messmedia

... to further expand my question: Has anyone of You, people, had problems with vj 1304, or 1204 with printing THICKER media?

I would really appreciate any answer regarding this ...

D

Digitall

There is a trade show coming up in Vegas in April 16th I believe. It would be worth the trip. You will most likely save the trip cost on what you get off of a show printer. This way you can see them all 1 on 1.

Rick

Biker Scout

Can't really print on media much thicker than 13oz. Scrim Banner. I've gotten head strikes before I adjusted my pre-heater for Banner Material. It got warm and started crinkling just slightly under the rollers, and the print head would "wipe" a dark mark on the high ridges.

I don't think the weight of the roll holder is 42 lbs. because a full roll (150 ft) of Banner material takes two people to lift and set on the back of the machine. (Well, you can do it by yourself, but it's easily 75 lbs. you are cradling while trying to get the roll holder ends lined up in the wimpy looking plastic holders)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Can't really print on media much thicker than 13oz. Scrim Banner. I've gotten head strikes before I adjusted my pre-heater for Banner Material. It got warm and started crinkling just slightly under the rollers, and the print head would "wipe" a dark mark on the high ridges.

You might try raising the head before you print. The head height specification is 1.5mm low and 2.5mm high. You should be able to feed most anything this side of a road kill cat.

No civilized person prints with the head in the low position.

I don't think the weight of the roll holder is 42 lbs. because a full roll (150 ft) of Banner material takes two people to lift and set on the back of the machine. (Well, you can do it by yourself, but it's easily 75 lbs. you are cradling while trying to get the roll holder ends lined up in the wimpy looking plastic holders)

The 42 pounds is indeed the total weight of the media infeed roll. You might actually weigh what you think is 75 pounds. You could be surprised. The reason this weight specification increases as the printer width increases should be obvious to even the most addled.

Weight of media is only very loosely related to media thickness. If the original poster was thinking that 42 pounds mean 42lb stock, he was mistaken.

messmedia

^ acctually, I did think it is media thickness, since I couldn't understand the Mutoh specifications any other way. Thnx for the info!!!!!

But, bottom line is - Mutoh VJ 1304 DO NOT HAVE LIMITATION AT MEDIA THICKNESS WORSE THAN COMPETITION (Roland VP 540, Mimaki CJV30 - 130)?????

randya

The 'spec' is 0.3mm for low head position.
In high head position it is the same as other printers in its class, 1 mm.

messmedia

^ Thanx, randya - I expected this kind of straight-forward answer from You (I noticed You are very active helper to Mutoh owners).

When head is at high position, does it influence print quality, or has any other limitation to printing?

randya

thanks, I try to do what I can to help.

Accuracy of dot placement is dependant on distance from the printhead to the media and calibration.

So if you are using thicker media and have calibarated high head to that media, then the difference is probably very small. If you are using thin media and high head position, your prints may look fuzzy, if you are using thick media and your high head position was calibrated on thin media, then your prints may show signs of separation (color misalignment)

For course media like banner, chances are you wont be able to see a difference.

When you think about it, it is pretty amazing.
You have a drop about 4 picoliters big.
That is less than 4 trillionths of a liter - ( http://www.pagetutor.com/trillion/index.html )

That drops from a head moving back and forth across a media at full speed,
You have air currents under that moving head.
And yet that drop is supposed to fall within a few thousanths of a inch from similar drop that falls from the head in the opposite direction.

So the more distance between the head and the media the more chances are that this small droplet will wander from its course and fall outside its intended target.

Last edited:

messmedia

Yeap, - LOGICAL! Thanx!

... by the way, what would I do with that Trilion, huh? I would need more space for bucks than my own-self, it just is not |||AFORDABLE|||| muaaahahahahahahaha:{)