• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ-1604 won't hold PF adjustment

ElJay

I'm CONSTANTLY having to adjust the print feed..even when switching out rolls of the same material. Paper, vinyl, banner..doesn't matter. PF Motor was just replaced. Belt tension seems okay. Performed micro adjustment. Problem persists. I get banding and can't print tiled images because the pieces won't line up. What gives?

Rip is a good suggestion. I would check the pinch rollers. I have seen them shift and bind on the Toucan LT. This causes a feed issue that is not constant.

ElJay

maybe your RIP is overriding the PF adjust settings?

Thought of that...but I can go through the PF adjustment procedure and get it to read 300mm, but after a job is finished I'll check it and it's out of whack again...Maybe the mechanical takeup is pulling on it?

randya

Thought of that...but I can go through the PF adjustment procedure and get it to read 300mm, but after a job is finished I'll check it and it's out of whack again...Maybe the mechanical takeup is pulling on it?

How are you checking this?

It should be the verify menu.
If you go back to the PF Adjust it reverts back everytime.
This is a real calibration of the encoder, so everytime you start from scratch.

The takeup will have a little affect, but that should be minor and not what you are describing.

You may want to clean the PF encoder with denatured alcohol, it is located under the left end cover.

DSD has a point as well, lift the lever and check your rollers, make sure they all move smoothly.
The roller covers should be fairly soft as well.

Last edited:

ElJay

Setup>
PF Adjust>
Initial Print>
...read print, measure marks.
Initial Change>
...enter measurement.
Confirm Print>
...measure marks again.

As per the User Manual. Am I doing something wrong?

randya

That's correct to set the PF, but everytime you go back to Initial Print, you are starting over from scratch, so yes, everytime it goes back to its starting point, not the last calibration you did.

If you want to check it after a print then JUST do Confirm Print.
If it is changing at that point then you have an issue.
First thing to check is the encoder wheel for the pf motor - cleanliness and not touching the sensor.
Second, probably the sensor.

Load your media in the center of the machine, then place a piece of tape on the platen with part of it sticking under the media and part out.
Place a mark at the edge of the media.
You should be able to run out 5-6 feet without moving away from your mark significantly - say 1/16".

Media can wander depending on the slickness of the backer, so typically run with the media hold down in the most down position.

ElJay

First thing to check is the encoder wheel for the pf motor - cleanliness and not touching the sensor.
Second, probably the sensor.

What can I clean it with? Is alcohol safe?

...Just scrolled up and answered my own question....Sorry.

Last edited: