• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ 1624 "Scoring material"

Roark Group

My materials are:
Oracal 3651 RA
General Concepts Poster paper

All of them show lines in the print where the push rollers contact the material. The hold down lever is in the first position. If I run a thicker material like canvas or backlit material it doesn't show.. Any ideas.? I talked to tech support and you would have thought Id asked him the square root of something.. Thanks in advance for any help..

heyskull

Pictures would be helpful.

It sounds like the rollers are contaminated.
Unclip them and give them a clean.
I have cleaned mine a few times and it does help.

SC

Roark Group

Pics of scoring

Its a brand new machine... I checked rollers for anything that would cause this, but they are clean.. I uploaded some pics..

Attachments

• 20141218_083004.jpg.jpg
    20141218_083004.jpg.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20141218_083023.jpg.jpg
    20141218_083023.jpg.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 105

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
What are your heat settings at? The higher the heat the softer the material will become. Also do all the rollers do this or just some of them?

Roark Group

Mutoh Scoring

The tech that set up the machine put the heat at (50 - 42 - 50).. Ive discovered that its really to hot... I reduced the heat by small increments, and have discovered that it is getting better.. Any suggestions on heat settings for standard vinyls..? I never had these issues with the Versa Camms .. Maybe I should have stayed with Roland...

Tel

We have a 1624 and have had this problem, in our opinion its nothing to do with heat settings, we have 3 mutohs and the rollers on the 1624 are softer than the others and they seem to pick up the plastisiser from banner material etc then deposit it on the vinyl also cheap vinyl is a problem and particularly cheap banner material but we have it on any banner material, after using banner material and using vinyl we would get it but usually it disappears after about a foot of printing.
The handle should be all the way down for banner, and pop up materials and halfway for vinyl.
We have a simple solution we use our 1604 for banners not the 1624
Not the answer you want I suppose but that's our experience with the 1624.
regards
Tel

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
We have sold over 350 of the ValueJet and while I am not saying that one or two haven't had an issue this doesn't appear to be a printer issue. Once you get this all straightened out you will see they are great units. Normally I run adhesive vinyl with the pre-heater at 45, platen at 40, and the dryer at 45 or 50 depending on if the print is drying or not. Not all vinyl are the same and you might have to lower these temperatures by 3 to 5 degrees.

pjfmeister

my 1624 will do this same thing on 3751 and 3551 but not usually on 3640. It shows up worse the darker the color. Usually goes away after the first foot or two of print. I usually crank the heat down to 40-42-47 or a little lower on the dryer and it will usually fix it...
Never see this on my 1614 only the 1624
We don't print any banners on our 1624 and it still does it.
We print all our banners on the 1614 and it never does it.

So I guess good question maybe somebody will have a good answer :smile:

henryp

This can be pressure roller contamination or pre-heat/platen heat setting issue. With an ambient temperature of 24 deg C and 40-60% humidity, my usual settings are: pre-heat 38 deg, platen 40 deg, and dryer 45 deg (+/- 2 on all values as required)

brycesteiner

Can you tell if this is happening before it's printed and can actually feel the marks? It wouldn't make sense to put these types of rollers immediately after the ink is laid down, because all of the printers would be marking. The ink just does not dry that fast.
If the marks are coming after the ink is laid down, you would not feel the indents. You might try slowing the printer down for this media to unidirectional so that it gives extra time for each pass to dry.

I would try another media too.

heyskull

That heater setting is way to high my machine runs at an average of 32 - 35 - 37.
What will be happening is the heat and the roller is distorting the material.
Turn the heat down and try again.
Also clean the rollers as they may become sticky with the excess heat.

SC

Tel

Whoops guys I said the lever should be all the way down for banner and halfway for vinyl my mistake it's the other way about but that's not your problem.
As I said earlier we have a 1624 it is only a few months old we get the same thing happening, the 1624 rollers are different material from other mutohs they are softer ours will do it on cheap vinyl and does it on vinyl after using banner vinyl but it disappears after printing about a foot, so we assume they pick something up from the cheap vinyl and banner vinyl something like a plastisiser but that's our opinion we can manage this and are very pleased with the 1624.
regards
Tel