• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP owners unite!

Gene@mpls

I am noticing a couple of behaviors with my VP540 that are curious.

The machine seems to slip from 'sheet scan' to 'full width' scan a lot-
I cannot seem to be able to identify when this happens. I print mostly
30" vinyl and if it is not set to 'sheet scan' (menu>submenu>full width
scan>sheet) my printing time is increased by about 50%. (ie 9min vs. 6min)

Also on one of the presets I created the capping station clicks into position
every time the head carrage goes to the right side of its travel- makes a
clicking sound.

After the RIPC upgrade I am getting print times of 4:06 using the RIPC profiles
vs. 6:30 using the same previous canned profile. This is the same 24" print
using Generic Vinyl 1- Ripc vs nonRIPC.

Thanks for any thoughts or other observations. Gene

B Snyder

I haven't seen the same sheet scan/full width scan behavior as you. I believe mine stays at sheet scan all the time. This means the carriage won't travel all the way across the media if it doesn't need to, right?

Gene@mpls

Right- mine slips fairly often- and as I mentioned it really slows the print
speed- and I don't notice til I am into the print of course. Gene

Gene@mpls

Just thought of another thing- the heaters cool off *very* quickly-
for instance- if you cancel a print by the time you send the print again
it takes several minutes to get back up to temp. I run both heaters
wide open btw- so that may take longer. Gene

Bigdawg

Just Me
Not having the same issue here either Gene. But the heaters do seem to take a few to reheat but not overly so IMHO...

B Snyder

Just thought of another thing- the heaters cool off *very* quickly-
for instance- if you cancel a print by the time you send the print again
it takes several minutes to get back up to temp. I run both heaters
wide open btw- so that may take longer. Gene

do you use the printer's heat settings or the settings in VersaCamm?

I have the machine set to 37/43 but use the RIP settings (typically 40/45)when the file is sent over. Then, the machine only has to increase the temp slightly and it doesn't take too long.

mgraef27

I haven't had any of those problems. But so far im not that impressed with firmware and software upgrade. I haven't had much time test the new profiles, but the one time i did it didnt look all that great. The ink looked like it was pooling on the vinyl. Going to try and do some more test next week....

Mainframe

I was cutting a lam print on my vp540 the other day & got a "can't find crop mark error" I had the print in a little crooked so I canceled out to redo it & noticed it did a full width scan on the media, it must reset itself after an error. On a side note I talked to my tech about using the sheet scan mode & he said for me to be careful printing banners that need to roll up while printing because it goes too fast & the ink isn't dry enough & will bleed to the back side of the banner, I usually let my banners lay out on the floor & just pull them along while they print, but I can't do that to a 20 foot banner

Last edited:

Gene@mpls

Mainframe- That is interesting about the error theory- I will keep an eye on that.
I always roll my banners as they come off- but I do it manually on a
homebrew setup with no problems. I also profile- so the ink dries quickly and
I use Triangle inx which dries fast anyway. Also very durable.

Mgraef- I am also testing the RIPC- I think it is acceptable for our purposes
(see profile/ink comment above) considering the speed.
The puddling you mention- is it on Roland spot color replacements? I believe
that that setting bypasses the profile for those colors- they print very heavy-
which is why they look so good. My feelings anyway. Gene

you design

Vp540 crop mark scan error

Hi guys just wondering if you have any idea why all of a sudden it is a living nightmare for me to find and scan crop marks. I Haven ruled out that it is not the laminate as I am trying to scan on a print without laminate. Slowly but surely it became harder to find the crop marks and now not at all!! I have cleaned the lens and tried everything possible. One thing I noticed is on the lens there is no filter is there suppose to be?
Any help would be much appreciated cheers

Mainframe

After laminating make sure you rub the crop marks on the print with a squeegee, this gets out most of the "silvering" from the lam that can occur on newly laminated prints.

you design

It is not the laminate

After laminating make sure you rub the crop marks on the print with a squeegee, this gets out most of the "silvering" from the lam that can occur on newly laminated prints.

I have tried cutting the laminate out around the registration marks and also tried scanning a new print without any laminate whatsoever and still no luck. I am thinking I am up for a new sensor.. Has anyone got a picture of what the sensor should look like? my one looks like this and it looks like it may have been pushed in when I had a head strike some time ago...
attachment.php

Attachments

• sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 123