• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP540 - **HELP** Magenta marks in print

Milweb1

We have been having issues with our Roland VP540. Magenta marks keep coming up on prints in random places at random times. They will always be the same length but different widths. Please see image below. I could go through rolls and not see more then 2 issues but, sometimes print after print has them coming up.

Sensor ribbon replaced already. Warranty tech is telling my I should check the voltage in my shop. (Is this a real concern.) Out of other ideas and tech cant figure it out... HELP

Attachments

• -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Mainframe

If I were you here are a couple of things I would try,
First I would uninstall Versaworks & reinstall it.
Also, I have seen some odd behavior from letting the machine sleep all the time instead of turning it off in the front & in the back once in a while.
If the voltage is an issue, maybe try an UPS system, in my opinion it should even out the voltage.
Also , if it shows up in a file & you reprint it does it show up again? or does it disappear?

InkjetAuction

Questions....

It couldbe a voltage issue... but if it's NOT, I have a few questions--

What is the exact width of the artifact in the sample print? It's difficult to tell exactly by the pic...

What print mode was used to print the sample shown? High-speed I suspect? Does the artifact display a smaller width when running in a standard or high quality mode?

I assume that it's always magenta?

Before even hearing the answers to these questions, I'm thinking electrical... I bet that the width of the artifact is the width of a pass, depending on the print mode.

I'd begin by looking at the low cost parts. Check the seating on the flex cables from the magenta head to the print carriage board. If you still experience the same problem, I'd consider doing some cable swapping to isolate cables and the magenta head. After that I'd look toward the print carriage board.

Just my thoughts....

~E

Milweb1c

Thank you for the fast reply. I added a battery backup with voltage regulator today. It seems to be working. I will let everyone know if it doesn't. The other thing I like to try is reinstalling Versaworks. I think these problems start right after I up-dated last. Thanks again.

Slamdunkpro

We have been having issues with our Roland VP540. Magenta marks keep coming up on prints in random places at random times. They will always be the same length but different widths. Please see image below. I could go through rolls and not see more then 2 issues but, sometimes print after print has them coming up.

Sensor ribbon replaced already. Warranty tech is telling my I should check the voltage in my shop. (Is this a real concern.) Out of other ideas and tech cant figure it out... HELP
I had this exact problem on my XC540 when it was first installed - random magenta lines randomly on prints. It was a bad main board. Had to go through 2 to get a good one.

Milweb1c

I first bought a CyberPower with 900 WATT. Works great no lines. Its just not big enough. So I just bought a ULTRA 2000 VA 1200 WATT UPS from TigerDirect. It should be here next week.

Milweb1c

Here's the up date. The Roland service tech, replaced the carriage board. No go, still dropping lines. Tonight he replaced the main board. No lines yet!

Milweb1c

Not the main board. Still dropping magenta lines. I've tried to different computers. Does it on both. Next is the carriage board to main board cables. Any other ideas, please respond. Thanks everyone!

Milweb1c

I do want to note. If I shut down the machine for a few hours. I able to get 1 maybe 2 hours of great prints. After that it craps out.

kffernandez

i would put my money on an electrical problem. either on a loose/crapping cable or the head itself.

i would like to hear how things turn out. thanks!

DRamm76

I agree with Inkjet Auction. It may have something to do with cables and the board. I've seen some crazy results occur when cables are loose. I would check the cables first.

Nowadays, with everyone trying to do their own service work, we've seen people go in and replace main parts but knock some cables loose or just take them out for a reason and not re-seat them properly.