• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vp540 wont power on...help

jason91

I have a vp 540 that was working fine on friday, came in this morning and it wont power on. I've checked the outlet, new cord, different outlet.. . I can tell its getting power because when i power on i can see the green light on the print carriage board light up. I checked the fuses on the main board with a multimeter and all 3 seem fine. the 2 fuses on the power board seem to be fine also? what could it be, and what way could i trouble shoot it to find the problem?
Thanks for any info

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Usually that's going to be a damaged main board. You can try to trouble shoot it by unplugging the head cables and then try to power on. If it still doesn't power on, unplug the trailing cables that go from the slider board to the main board and try to power on. If it still won't turn on, it's most likely the main board. Just make sure to unplug the machine and wait 15 minutes when unplugging cables so you don't blow any fuses.

Ultraman

Ultraman
I have a vp 540 that was working fine on friday, came in this morning and it wont power on. I've checked the outlet, new cord, different outlet.. . I can tell its getting power because when i power on i can see the green light on the print carriage board light up. I checked the fuses on the main board with a multimeter and all 3 seem fine. the 2 fuses on the power board seem to be fine also? what could it be, and what way could i trouble shoot it to find the problem?
Thanks for any info
It could be a short on your print head so disconnect your data print head cables and try to see if it power on. I have the same problem and found out that its not the main board and it could also be your power supply board but I don't think its your panel board. I do have VP power supply and servo board but sold my main and panel board few months ago. interested DM

Ultraman

Ultraman
Hi! I do have many many parts and boards so tentatively I remembered I sold main and panel and still have servo and power supply board( need to go search), I will sell both for $1450 + $75 shipping, It will pack and ship professionally to your location. For Servo and Power supply board, its easy to install compare to main board but I can include service manual how to install these boards but still I have to say this...you might a service technician to help you to do this(depend on your skills level). I buy/sell/repair Roland printers and with VP are not service by Roland anymore, I upgrade my customers with newer printers (usually they decided not to buy new print heads) and remove those boards. All my parts and boards are from healthy working printers and I do not sell broken boards but sales is final.

netsol

Hi! I do have many many parts and boards so tentatively I remembered I sold main and panel and still have servo and power supply board( need to go search), I will sell both for $1450 + $75 shipping, It will pack and ship professionally to your location. For Servo and Power supply board, its easy to install compare to main board but I can include service manual how to install these boards but still I have to say this...you might a service technician to help you to do this(depend on your skills level). I buy/sell/repair Roland printers and with VP are not service by Roland anymore, I upgrade my customers with newer printers (usually they decided not to buy new print heads) and remove those boards. All my parts and boards are from healthy working printers and I do not sell broken boards but sales is final.
but you don't have the board that
most likely is causing the problem

netsol

ed from inkjetperformance.com in georgia MAY have a board
they also offer repair service

you can also serch for roland board repair on ebay, but, there is a risk, sending off your main board, you may never see it again

Ultraman

Ultraman
but you don't have the board that
most likely is causing the problem
Read the above properly, I do have the boards but I need to look for it in my storage if Jason91 only interested. For board its away better to switch rather then repair.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
ed from inkjetperformance.com in georgia MAY have a board
they also offer repair service

you can also serch for roland board repair on ebay, but, there is a risk, sending off your main board, you may never see it again
We've had board repaired by Ed before. Worth a shot.

jason91

Usually that's going to be a damaged main board. You can try to trouble shoot it by unplugging the head cables and then try to power on. If it still doesn't power on, unplug the trailing cables that go from the slider board to the main board and try to power on. If it still won't turn on, it's most likely the main board. Just make sure to unplug the machine and wait 15 minutes when unplugging cables so you don't blow any fuses.
ok i unplugged the 3 large head cables... panel still didnt power on...i do see a green light on the mainboard though and all the fuses are fine on the main board... not sure what trailing cables your talking about to unplug, and
can the panel board be messed up without something wrong with the main or servo board?

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
ok i unplugged the 3 large head cables... panel still didnt power on...i do see a green light on the mainboard though and all the fuses are fine on the main board... not sure what trailing cables your talking about to unplug, and
can the panel board be messed up without something wrong with the main or servo board?
It could be possible, if there is power to the main board, it means the machine is getting power, is the green light lit up on the printing carriage? If so, there is a chance it's the panel that is dead, make sure the cable is properly connected in the back off it.

jason91

It could be possible, if there is power to the main board, it means the machine is getting power, is the green light lit up on the printing carriage? If so, there is a chance it's the panel that is dead, make sure the cable is properly connected in the back ofyes the green light on the motherboard and print carriage board comes on.. but panel board is dead?

Ultraman

Ultraman
Yes main and panel board sold, only servo and power supplies

garyroy

Was the motherboard damaged by an 'over the weekend' power surge? If so, get an APC UPS backup/surge protector and put it on right away.
We have one of these on every computer and printer. That company must love us... ;)

Attachments

• APC Backup.jpg
    APC Backup.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 42

netsol

Was the motherboard damaged by an 'over the weekend' power surge? If so, get an APC UPS backup/surge protector and put it on right away.
We have one of the

I KNOW YOU MEAN WELL. BUT...
it is simply NOT A GOOD IDEA to try to run a roland printer through a battery backup, unless it is HUGE. it won't be able to handle the load when the printer cycles
we have a bunch of the 2500 va apc's (rated for 20 AMPS) and you can hear the power supply of the roland's SQUEAL (begging for it's life) when you run off a ups.

i can hang an oscilloscope on the AC output and you could see the horrible sine wave distortion your ac gets under load when the printer cycles.

probably your best bet (other than moving to an area with reliable power ) would be to purchase an ESP D5131 surge protector (the kind that comes when you sign a lease on a copier

i will post a picture.

se on every computer and printer. That company must love us...