• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vutek RFID question (3rd party ink)

artbot

i have a question regarding vutek's rfid ink chips (for the 200/600 and 320/400). i'm aware that there are many third party inks for these printers. so the chips can be be bypassed/worked around. but, are the work arounds only available with third party ink contracts? or is there a stand alone solution for bypassing the chips?

also, although there are many settings for the lamps. is there a "lamps off" setting? so that the printer can run without the lamps on at all? or would one just take the lamps out? ...or keep dead bulbs in the machine?

thanks in advance!

aa

animenick65

One of the easier ways to bypass the RFID chips is to take old couplings/tubes from someone who actually used VUTEk ink and replace with those chips/couplings.

As for the lamps, the only way I know to shut them off and still print is to click shutdown/cool on the VXworks computer side or just flip the breaker for the lamps. Not sure exactly how it is on your machine.

artbot

@animenick65 do those couplings eventually expire? and do they record ink use?

as for "my machine", i'm in the market for a flatbed and i'm investigating which one will be the best for modification. i have a few products that would be great (perfect) for the 320/400 (standard size for this product is 10'x12', lightweight. but i need to develop my own inks for it and the ink protection is a nuisance.

thanks for the reply. great info.

animenick65

They do eventually expire. Up until a month or so ago, I was providing couplings to someone who was using them on third party inks. He had some work arounds in place though and is a great resource of knowledge. I'll PM you his email so you can get in touch with him. It sounds like the is the resource you are looking for.

artbot

you rock! ...thanks. i'm trying to put together an "ultimate" set up budget (new stuff) and a trustworthy bargain set up (mcgyver'ed used equipment). and from what i've read, the vuteks are the most dependable. personally, i've seen some of my ventures go belly up in the last 20 years due to over head issues. i'd much rather go cheap and break down every two months, than go expensive and not be able to compete on price because of an army of high lease equipment begging for dollars and double shifts.

my other used option is an older gandi 3150, but with such a massive footprint, lovers and haters (not any vutek haters out there). i'm just not sold that a used 3150 for $60k can out print a used 200/600 for $30k (not in speed, but in headache free ownership).

also, ...(sorry for the barrage of questions). have you heard of anyone using the lmlc channels as spot channels in the early machines? also to confirm the 200 is a six color, and the 320 is a cmykX2 correct??? i believe that the +white models later in the line use a different picolitered head for the white channel. just wondering what options are out there for head/ink configurations.

thanks for the heads up on the work around. please do pm him for me.

animenick65

I'm sure you could use them as spot color channels, the issue is getting whatever RIP you're using to print the spot color and only the spot color when you need it to.

I'm not too familiar with the older VUTEks.

Typestries

fwiw on the gandi's you can turn off the lamps with 2 mouse clicks and still print.
feel free to pm me specific q's if need be if you need application specific type questions answered.

Vinson

Hi Animenick65,

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind pointing me to the gentleman that understands how to deal with the rfid issues that Vutek printers present to people who wants to use 3rd party inks. Thanks for your time.:U Rock:

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I was throwing some of my tubes/RFIDs to my sales guy at sericol to let them see what was up with them. I also understand Pitmann now AGFA was working on something as well, but not sure where that stands anymore since AGFA took over.
I wouldnt switch my QS to 3rd party inks...have the service contract on it and would never risk that! Its worth its weight in gold to me.
As for the lamps, there are breakers in the back you can turn off on my printer and run as if they were on.

artbot

after asking lots of questions, researching, etc. i decided to build my own flatbed printer. hopefully i can have it finished by around the end of spring. it will be 7' x 24' and run color and monochrome and be insanely fast. i'll probably start a thread about the build.

Montrealer

Senior Operator
My english is not that good but i think i can help you on your 2 questions. First im using a Pressvu 200/600 with other inks than Vutek. Im using old couplings/tubes from Vutek inks. If you dont want any Mux Board communication error and Ink has expired message, its to set a virtually false date into the bios of the Vutek and on the PC windows user interface. Uncheck the option Synchronise automatically time date into the PC, and change the date for a date that fit with your old couplings expiration date. In the windows user interface, into the clock tab in the task bar (if you dont, every time you gonna reboot the current date will overwrite your previous change).than u reboot the PC and u go in the bios, change date than F10. Than you can use same Couplings tube for a long time....u just reset back the time by fool the bios of the vutek and the PC user (PV200). Only probs after a while the cab become jam with old ink and it pop up an error message : c1-c6 fill error...just clean the couplings main hole with solvant and the message will dissapear.

2nd if you want close your lamps , example u had maintenance to do and u have to reboot often and you dont want your lamp on, for the time being. In the back of the Vutek open the door of the CPU main box....You gonna see 5 swicht Servo-CPU-Right Lamp-Left Lamp etc....turn off the 2 lamps orange button to off and thats it....

Hope it help you.