• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Vytek 8x10' Router

I purchased my router back in December of 1994. I was losing the feeling in my hands from carving by hand due to the router vibration. My machine has served me well over the nearly 26 years I've used it. Of course, with computers, "Nothing can go wrong, nothing can go wrong..." I've been dealing with an issue of plunging into my material or dropping down far enough to create a gouge straight down the X or Y axis. At first...I thought is was an evil spirit :). But I'm wondering if anyone, anywhere, has experienced this frustrating and costly issue. I've recently heard, it could be overtravel caused by the router weight as it descends. I'm going to try a spring or bungee to overcome that but if anyone knows of another possible cause or solution, I would very much appreciate hearing about it. Thanks Dave VZ

John Miller

Dave, I'm far from a CNC tech, but the time our router started doing things it wasn't programmed to do we found that a drive belt had skipped a notch. I would examine your Z access, ball screw most likely. After 26 years you may need to replace parts.

Thanks John. The plunging and plowing issue has actually been a problem for a long time. I'm pretty sure it happened (to a lesser degree) shortly after I got the machine. I actually had a nasty plunge about an hour ago with a large 90 degree conic Her-Safe bit so it left about a 2" hole which I will now have to patch before running the toolpath again. Note: I can run the exact same toolpath and it won't happen again. My machine and program (CasMate) are both very old so it's hard to isolate where the problem originates. A tech guy I'm working with suggested a weight balance on my Z axis motor such as a bungee or spring to avoid servo overtravel as the motor descends. My motor isn't that large or heavy though. It's just a common 3.5 HP Porter Cable Router.

I am mostly trying to find out if anyone, anywhere has encountered this problem and solutions they've tried.

We are all but certain the return Z axis wire has a break in it since I am now unable to gain datum at home. The wire replacement is scheduled and I am leaving on a 2 week getaway. I think I have more than one issue right now. The failing controller board is an interesting possibility. Too tired to deal with it tonight. Thank you very much for the extensive analysis. Dave

I had this issue to a degree, but on a multicam. Couple of quick questions:
What does the machine do after a plunge like this? (I'd assume you hit E stop and so you don't really know.)
Does it happen in one consistent area of the table, either in the X or Y direction consistently? (this could indicate a damaged wire thats getting bent in areas)
Have you noticed this issue more when it's a very hot and/or humid day?

Mine would do even more fun stuff, like suddenly inverting directions on the x axis. So you'd have the first half of the whatever, say the word bank, BA would be standard, NK would be mirrored, and running over the other letters. It was a failing controller board. Heat would make it happen more frequently. Sounds like either the z axis board is trying to give up the ghost, the wires controlling the driver are getting pinched in a certain region on the table, or something involving the servos. Mine is stepper motors, I am somewhat unfamiliar with servos.
Thanks Again for your input.
I have decided to put the job on hold while I go fishing for a couple weeks. I might catch a fish and that would be a profit...for a change.
Hopefully, the cable replacement will get me going again at least. Note:I did zoom in to the toolpath and I found a very small extension beyond the vector where the plunge occurred. This is an issue with CasMate and I've dealt with it by deleting the error/s. (a crossed or duplicated vector can cause those) I think that is a whole "nuther" issue. Numerous other times, it happens when there is NO visible error and those will run perfectly (after patching) with no problem. Most of the people I dealt with at Vytek and CasMate are dead and gone but maybe there's still someone who remembers when they produced 3D Router systems.
Dave