• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall graphics with IJ180CV3-10

AKSIGN

I am being asked by a company to install about 6000 sqaure feet of 3M IJ180CV3-10 on interior walls. Has anyone used this for interior wall graphics and had any issues? The walls on this job are painted drywall.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
From what I understand, 180 is great for textured walls, it can conform into the little groves, with a roller and heat gun. we use 40 for temporary wall murals, and 35c for permanent wall murals, on a flat surface. A key factor would be the paint used to paint the wall(s). Are you able to take a scrap of 180 to the site and test it? Leave it up for a week or so - as long as you can, and see how it does.

Last edited:

Boudica

180 should work well, adhesion test is always nice. I cut my teeth on a books a million job with ij180 doing the top 3' along the perimeter walls... with bookshelves in the way. (Also had several Austin Powers moments where I got a baby scissor lift stuck between a bookshelf and display table)
Check and see if they are using gloss or matte laminate. I'd almost decline if they are using gloss, because areas where the drywall was repaired or seamed will look like garbage, and you'll be the one everybody points a finger at.
you don't happen to have a video of that do you? :p

WEC production

I am being asked by a company to install about 6000 sqaure feet of 3M IJ180CV3-10 on interior walls. Has anyone used this for interior wall graphics and had any issues? The walls on this job are painted drywall.
I have used that on interior walls in the past..nothing quite that size but it conforms well to the texture and almost looks to be painted on the wall. I don't think you would have an issue with it except the cost. There are better materials for walls than the IJ-180CV

AKSIGN

Any idea of what paint they used on the walls and how long it's been on.
I emailed them and haven't heard a response yet. They mentioned it getting repainted before install. I will let you know when I hear back from them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not personally, but I thought I've read where using the 3M high end controltac stuff might peel, becasue ya can't really post heat it like you do a vehicle. Then, they tend to peel and people wonder why it peels/lifts.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've only used the IJ35 with matte laminate. I really like the matte finish for walls. No issues thus far for any of my installs.

Boudica

Not personally, but I thought I've read where using the 3M high end controltac stuff might peel, becasue ya can't really post heat it like you do a vehicle. Then, they tend to peel and people wonder why it peels/lifts.
Why can't you post heat?

ikarasu

I emailed them and haven't heard a response yet. They mentioned it getting repainted before install. I will let you know when I hear back from them.
Depending on the paint you'll likely have issues. People paint a wall then expect you to be in within a few days to vinyl it - Paint tends to "Offgass" and cure for a long time - Latex based paints say 30 days, oil based is usually 7-14 days. Can you install vinyl before the time is up? Sure... but out goes your manufactures warranty, and on a 6000 sqft job thats pretty damn expensive.

Not to mention if it starts to peel / fail... You're going to take half the paint off the wall with the vinyl when you remove it.

We tell everyone they have to wait 30 days after painting... Mainly because we hate touching freshly painted walls, we'll do it for customers we've had for a long time if its an easy job... But its not worth the risk elsewise. I don't think paint actually takes a month to cure... but I do think all the anti grime agents they put in tends to seep to the surface for a long time - If you scrub the wall with alcohol first, odds are it'll stick ok. But on a 6,000 SQFT job...

ikarasu

As many as you want if you're getting paid by the hour and bring your sleeping bag.
https://www.amazon.com/Solary-Infra...refix=paint+curing+lamp,automotive,116&sr=1-7 All you need is one of these babies and 6000 SQFT takes minutes to post heat.

We had an outside job in the not-winter, but pretty cold months where we had to install a bunch of wall panels... the vinyl didnt stick too well unless it was post heated, and like you there was no way in hell we were going to heat up a couple hundred SQFT of vinyl with a heat gun... So we bought one of these on wheels...and you could make it go vertical.

We applied a few panels - Spent a minute or two with this + a big foam roller to press it down after it got heated and it worked perfectly. Post heating wall vinyl is just getting the glue flowing so it tacks quickly... I think a big IR heater like this on wheels would mean you just walk it from one end to the other, lower it, then walk it back.

That being said... 180 is pretty good and we've never had to post heat it indoors. You dont need to post heat vehicle wraps... You post heat anywhere that youve stretched quite a bit, anything flat doesnt need a post heat - so I don't see why you'd need to post heat a wall, unless its not adhering very well in the beginning.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have a light/heater like this...it works awesome! For smaller jobs if you don't get the vehicle earlier enough for it to warm up I'll aim this on the area and the metal warms up very quickly. A coupe times I ran out of propane in the garage and this little infrared light worked just fine...a little cold in the rest of the room but in a pinch or for pre and post heating a vehicle...this is great, and great idea for using on a wall! No doubt it will work perfectly!

If I ever build a shop for vehicle installations I am putting in infrared heat...it is the bomb! Here in Wisconsin, winters are cold.

mim

0_o
We use IJ180 for wall installations all the time. 6,000 sq ft is a lot of space to cover but I use a rivet brush to push down the vinyl since you can't post heat. I have also skipped this step and the vinyl has staid put just fine.