• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall Install Test

jc1cell

Hey guys,

I went ahead and installed this mural on a shop wall just to test how the vinyl would lay down and adhesion duration.

1. Oracal 3551 RA
2. Painted Drywall
3. No Lamination

Since I'm only testing this I didn't finish it with laminate or by running any heat over it to set it better.

The install went smooth and it adhered pretty well. I had already tested a smaller piece on it for several days and have some on a cement wall and a wooden door to see how it works. So far it's performing well unlaminated. We'll see what happens after a few months and when I decide to remove it...I can already imagine having to put new drywall up (only to test something else on it...lol).

jc

Attachments

• Wall1.jpg
    Wall1.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Wall2.jpg
    Wall2.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 193

Graphics2u

I've been thinking about doing this on one wall in my shop. Having a hard time to know what to put on it though. Let us know how it works out without the Lamination.

jasonx

Question what will the lamination have to do with the adhesion of the adhesive on the back of the vinyl to the wall assuming you match the laminate with the vinyl? (mono to mono, poly to poly, cast to cast)?

zmatalucci

from my personal experience, when you go to take the vinyl off the wall, the sheetrock paper comes off as well. (LG3910,oracal3551)

scheid

from my personal experience, when you go to take the vinyl off the wall, the sheetrock paper comes off as well. (LG3910,oracal3551)

..and with the air release vinyls.....unlaminated.....removal might be like removing 10 year old metallic silver vinyl........tiny tiny chunks.....

jc1cell

Question what will the lamination have to do with the adhesion of the adhesive on the back of the vinyl to the wall assuming you match the laminate with the vinyl? (mono to mono, poly to poly, cast to cast)?

For me, laminate is more of a durability and protection issue while it's on the wall. With it there will be no abrasion on the ink that has been laid down. And I would definitely only use a cast film on this in order to avoid shrinking on the wall as much as possible.

As far as removals...well...it would go one of two ways....smooth or complete replacement of the drywall.

jc

jc1cell

Well, it's been two years (+)

Great idea, keep us informed on how it holds up.

Other than the scratches due to no lam, the vinyl is holding excellent to the wall. The uploads are of a wall (another test) using oracal 3640 and covering with oracal clear 651. Heated during the install and post heated once done. The vinyl combination wasn't the best for conforming to the little details on the cement wall but it hasn't lifted anywhere. No edge sealer used at all. It's been up since july 2008.

jc

CentralSigns

I got some 3M 9800 l printed, thats been on a inside drywall wall I did 3 years ago still looks like new. Installed on the drywall in a movie store. Got to be careful installing a small mess can turn big in seconds as the paint and or paper peels easily. I can't imagine the mess he will have after removal. I feel much better installing on a substrates, and discourage the drywall installs, fudge factor cost is huge.