• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall Mural on wall with wood planks

We have a client that wants several wall murals for their new restaurant. One 21 feet, another 31 feet and another one at 12 feet long. The first thought was to do a wall wrap, but the walls are made up of uneven wood planks, some lifted a bit. I'm not sure it's going to look great. The other option may be to mount the graphics on 4x8 ACMs with stand-offs. It would look a lot cleaner, but also cost a good bit more. What other options are there? Dye-sub with frames?

TIA!

Attachments

• IMG-2206.jpg
    IMG-2206.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 492
  • Close-Up1.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 150

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm no wall mural expert but I should would not apply a vinyl wrap to that wall. I think your idea of ACMS or something similar with stand-offs is the way to go. It will also give that long boring wall some dimension.

I think by the time you calculate your cost of ACM/stand off installation and the time you will have in installing on planks it should be a wash. Just imagine how nice that would look with stand offs!!

Also, if I was sitting there waiting to eat I would poke my fingernail in the grooves and put a hole in the vinyl, I wouldn't mean to but it would be hard to resist...my son would probably use a knife or a toothpick. Of course that's besides the point but just saying...

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I agree, mounted with standoffs. Don't cover that beautiful wood with vinyl. Is it indoors? Why ACM? Ultraboard would be less $$, and lighter.

I agree, mounted with standoffs. Don't cover that beautiful wood with vinyl. Is it indoors? Why ACM? Ultraboard would be less $$, and lighter.

Less $$ would be a net positive. Wouldn’t Ultraboard dent a bit easy though? What thickness would you use?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya can't use any kinda foam boards, especially in an eating place. Hafta be careful with the metal ones, too. Someone could run their hand along it, like a customer's kid or even an employee cleaning it and cut themselves real good. Ya also hafta consider using the right kinda inks and whatnot, cause you're close to people eating. There are food regulations directing you on what you can and cannot use around food, while serving and/or eating.

Boudica

Less $$ would be a net positive. Wouldn’t Ultraboard dent a bit easy though? What thickness would you use?
It won't dent like foam core. It's got a polystyrene face on it. I don't see why you couldn't use it on a wall in a restaurant.

Boudica

Ya can't use any kinda foam boards, especially in an eating place. Hafta be careful with the metal ones, too. Someone could run their hand along it, like a customer's kid or even an employee cleaning it and cut themselves real good. Ya also hafta consider using the right kinda inks and whatnot, cause you're close to people eating. There are food regulations directing you on what you can and cannot use around food, while serving and/or eating.
We print thousands upon thousands of menus.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just about all menus are double encapsulated. Unless your in some low class joint.

Boudica

Printed on .030" HIPS with rounded corners for very high end restaurants. We have also produced countless pieces of wall art for restaurants and higher scale coffee shops.

SignosaurusRex

This is one of those jobs that is perfect for sub-contracting out the work to an Old-School "Sign Writer".
You know... those guys and gals that know how to swing a brush loaded up with paint and make magic happen.
Mark it up and everyone wins!

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids
You could try 3M Envsion which is made to go on bricks and everything uneven. Would probably look pretty cool over that wood. I have used in many occasions when the surface is very uneven.

Boudica

We have a client that wants several wall murals for their new restaurant. One 21 feet, another 31 feet and another one at 12 feet long. The first thought was to do a wall wrap, but the walls are made up of uneven wood planks, some lifted a bit. I'm not sure it's going to look great. The other option may be to mount the graphics on 4x8 ACMs with stand-offs. It would look a lot cleaner, but also cost a good bit more. What other options are there? Dye-sub with frames?

TIA!
1. What is their vision? What do they want on those walls?
2. Who's idea was it to use vinyl wall wrap on there?
3. Where did your client come from?

It sounds like they went to someone, who recommended a vinyl wall wrap, didn't like the price and are now tire kicking based on that initial stupid suggestion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Printed on .030" HIPS with rounded corners for very high end restaurants. We have also produced countless pieces of wall art for restaurants and higher scale coffee shops.
Unless you laminate, around here, that's not allowed. Over the years, we've done 100's of grocery stores and restaurants. At first it was the leaded paint, then vinyl took it's place and was fine. However, printed substrates need to be a certain kind of ink for ANY food establishment, schools from daycare up to college level. I bid on a school about 5 years ago to do a long hallway and was beaten out by a lower bid. No problem. Within a year, that whole hallway had everything taken down and replaced by the supplier with all new wall work and graphics, done the right way. Schools, restaurants and grocery stores have spot checks by some department of health people. They take readings of the air quality. I think it goes along with when someone applies for the permits. To me, it would make sense for them to inspect the possible shop doing the work before said work is performed, thus making for a lot less fussing. Just like your water quality in the kitchens or prep areas are tested on & off. Around food, the authorities get a little nuts.