• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall of Shame

aerial

QCB
Installed for local print shop. No we did not adhesion test. Shop didn't want to pay. Material is IJ35C/8509 lam. We cleaned the wall with alcohol, rolled and post heated. We have done many of these with no issues, some in the same building. They want to know if we could save it. I said no. Would you try another material, or paint the wall with Guardz? Paste it back up with glue size? (horror)
IMG_8310.jpeg

Suggestions welcome, hold the sarcasm please.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
because of the recesses between the bricks, a cast vinyl would have been better. Alumagraphic would be ideal on this type of surface.
Another issue could be that it was painted with that paint that nothing will stick to. Make sure you point out to the sign shop that an adhesion test would have been cheaper than redoing this.

MikePro

gross. if you're trying to thermoform vinyl to textured block surface, then use a wall wrap material with a conformable overlaminate like 3M8624/8524 or similar. even a car wrap vinyl would have stood a chance, but definitely not economic/calendared vinyl.
...although you could have gotten away with it if you premounted ACM panels to the wall and wrapped IJ35 onto them.

2B

doing some material testing is vital.

if you stay with vinyl, get some aggressive cast or Hi-Tack (8000)

White Haus

Not a Newbie
What size is that thing? Material combo definitely isn't intended for that application. I'd say if it worked before, you guys got lucky.

What a about a banner, no hems or grommets and just run a strip of 3M tape around the perimeter and tack it down.

damonCA21

I would never try and put vinyl directly onto a brick or block wall. If it did stick then it would look awful as all the texture would show through. Would either make a solid sign or put some sort of smooth sheets up onto the wall for the vinyl to be fitted to

Paint and wallpaper for commercial/public spaces has to meet flammability requirements by code, and the additives that help limit flame spread also prevent vinyl from sticking. Guardz would have worked, but it's too late now. I agree with the banner idea, or using a house brand of ACM.

garyroy

Live and learn. Thanks for sharing that. We figured the dimensions here at our shop over lunch.
Looks like about 20ft wide X 8ft high, about 160 sq ft. maybe weighing 22lbs or so.
A valiant try and a great reminder for all of us.
We don't do many wall applications but typically we would use a type of PhotoTex, but on block wall I don't think it would work awesome.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Installed for local print shop. No we did not adhesion test. Shop didn't want to pay. Material is IJ35C/8509 lam. We cleaned the wall with alcohol, rolled and post heated. We have done many of these with no issues, some in the same building. They want to know if we could save it. I said no. Would you try another material, or paint the wall with Guardz? Paste it back up with glue size? (horror) View attachment 166348
Suggestions welcome, hold the sarcasm please.
Drytac's Polar Grip is awesome for this type of application. It is a high-tack and high adhesive coat weight to offer a bond on rough surfaces like this. Best of all it is only $301.00 for a 54"x150.

aerial

QCB
I would never try and put vinyl directly onto a brick or block wall. If it did stick then it would look awful as all the texture would show through. Would either make a solid sign or put some sort of smooth sheets up onto the wall for the vinyl to be fitted to
We have done quite a few of these now. With the correct material they look like they are painted on the wall and the schools love them. The print shop is changing back to 3M Envision, which they were unable to get during Covid. Their material rep told them IJ35 would work, which did until it didn't.

Thank you all who took the time to reply. This forum is a most valuable resource.

visual800

If I were appraoached with that job I would have done a banner, it would have looked better and been cost effective

tulsagraphics

Live and learn. Thanks for sharing that. We figured the dimensions here at our shop over lunch.
Looks like about 20ft wide X 8ft high, about 160 sq ft. maybe weighing 22lbs or so.
A valiant try and a great reminder for all of us.
We don't do many wall applications but typically we would use a type of PhotoTex, but on block wall I don't think it would work awesome.
5ft high if those bricks are standard size (23 high @ 2-1/4" brick + 3/8" grout = ~ 60")

aerial

QCB
FYI, redid the job with 3M IJ8624 textured wall wrap from 3M, which should have been used in the first place. Worked quite well, looks like paint. I find textured walls are more forgiving than drywall, as the vinyl melts into the wall. Very forgiving of wrinkles or bubbles and seams disappear. Foam paint rollers work just fine, with correct heat.