• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall primer

10sacer

Is anyone using and having success with this product to prime Low VOC painted walls to accept self-adhesive vinyl graphics?

Attachments

• Primer.jpg
    Primer.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 175

Precision

Do you have a wall test kit? Have you tried IJ180cv3? It costs more, but not really if you are going to spend time priming a wall. Give it try.
In California, almost every wall is painted with low VOC paints. I have found IJ180 to be quite versatile in many, many situations.

Give it try using a test kit, and see if it will work for you.

Hope this helps.

ToneCustomSigns

Yes. When we do wall wraps I tell my customers to paint the wall with Zinsser if they are remodeling anyway. If painting isn't an option, I usually use 3MIJ180Cv3 like Precision mentioned. I've also wrapped walls with Arlon 8200 which has a higher tack. But I always do a test for my customers so they can see the difference in the products and how well they will hold up.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
What happens when you remove these wall wraps? It seems like you would almost have to re-sheetrock a lot of these.

We've had excellent results with Gardz (all big box stores carry it). It's a raw drywall primer, but it dries clear and cast vinyl (haven't tried calendared) sticks well to it. It will change the sheen of the wall slightly, so generally the entire wall has to be treated.

Precision

We have to think about every removal we do, before we wrap the wall. This is another reason I prefer IJ180cv3 to high tack vinyls. So far, all (even high tac) have peeled off pretty clean. There is a bit of top coat paint removed, but no heavy drywall damage. We have never experienced that, although I was afraid we might encounter that. Nothing yet.

Signscorp

Do you have a wall test kit? Have you tried IJ180cv3? It costs more, but not really if you are going to spend time priming a wall. Give it try.
In California, almost every wall is painted with low VOC paints. I have found IJ180 to be quite versatile in many, many situations.

Give it try using a test kit, and see if it will work for you.

Hope this helps.
Hey what's the difference between IJ180c-10 and IJ180Cv3-10 in your experience? We've always used 180c-10 for wall wraps.

Precision

Hey what's the difference between IJ180c-10 and IJ180Cv3-10 in your experience? We've always used 180c-10 for wall wraps.
Not enough to worry about. When we could get vinyl due to the shortages we used anything that said IJ180 on it. No problems. You might check cost or see if the manufacturer sheet says anything different, just in case. If it were us, we would use either.

Signscorp

Excellent good to know. The cost difference is like 2c a square foot, and the manufacturer specs basically say the same thing about both!

DL Signs

Never go against the family
CV3 just has finer air release channels, less prone to being visible after you lay it like the cross-hatch style air release.

netsol

Yes. When we do wall wraps I tell my customers to paint the wall with Zinsser if they are remodeling anyway. If painting isn't an option, I usually use 3MIJ180Cv3 like Precision mentioned. I've also wrapped walls with Arlon 8200 which has a higher tack. But I always do a test for my customers so they can see the difference in the products and how well they will hold up.
we have had fairly good results by tinting zinsser or kilz
it is still difficult to get real adhesion to certain paint formulations

edawg

Not enough to worry about. When we could get vinyl due to the shortages we used anything that said IJ180 on it. No problems. You might check cost or see if the manufacturer sheet says anything different, just in case. If it were us, we would use either.
What are you using for lamination with the cv3? Pre-mask as well?