• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waterproof Fluorescent Cardstock

Black Star

Not A New Member
I'm looking for waterproof fluorescent cardstock. I have a customer that owns a bunch of forest land and they've had these made before. These are used in the woods as warning signs and have print on them such as "Permit Required for Access". I believe the size is about 11" x 17" but I'm having a hard time finding this material. I was planning on screen printing on the material. Does anyone know where to find this material? Thanks in advance!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Basically, it's called railroad stock. Why ?? I don't know, but it only comes in white and off-white. Since I can remember, I've never seen it in colors. Regular shocard comes in fluorescents, but only has an outdoor life of a few months. Although the railroad stock is rated for outdoor use, it's still very temporary. The old no trespassing and no hunting fluorescents were screen printed backgrounds on a very heavy stock and then screened printed copy overtop, but they still only lasted a year or so at best.

RabidOne

So not Orange coroplast? Thats pretty bright, not flourescent though.
Or is it maybe a waterproof material that is printed flourescent orange?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Ya know, you can hit pastels and stuff fairly easily, but I think fluorescent colors are outside of the gaumet for a CMYK printer, but I could be very wrong.
I think you need a special kind of ink/printer to print fluorescent.

BigNate

From the OFFSET PRINTING world, there are a lot of different plastic "papers" that we sent through the old Heidelbergs. However with the new digital era, there is a new batch of heat resistant plastic media for the toner based machines. Try your local Kelly Paper/Spicers, they should be able to order some from 3 point up to 18 point... (btw, call it 'cover' stock, cards have historically been printed on thick AND thin papers so cardstock is not a very good description while covers are always thicker than text - also, remember do not ask for 'reams' of cover stock, it is packaged by the half-ream or 250 sheets.)

Signstein

I don't know about the thickness (mils vs. cardstock "weights") but you may want to check out Yupo. Take a look at their Illuminate - it's waterproof polypropylene suitable for UV and screen inks.

If not, contact them and see what they'd recommend. They predominantly make media for product packaging, but a lot overlaps with the sign industry.