• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wave effect on VJ1204

longbeachmichael

what exactly is the difference between A-S fine&wave, and B-S fine&wave, and just the plain fine&wave1-4 modes? all i know is that originally i was using B-S fine&wave and i switched to fine&wave1, now im printing 48"x24" sheets nearly 2min faster, with no difference in quality that i can see. i am looking for documentation for the different modes, as well as the different modes available in the RIP such as quality 1-5, graphics1-2, banner 1-4, etc.

randya

http://www.mutoh.com/pdf/ValueJet Effectsa.pdf

http://www.mutoh.com/products/ValueJet/1304_Print_Speeds.html
http://www.mutoh.com/products/ValueJet/1614_Print_Speeds.html

Quality 5 is the same speed as Quality 4, but uses a larger drop set.

You should always use a profile written for a specific mode.
As changing the resolution or drop size set can have dramatic changes in color and density.

Waves are a bit more independant, and you can readily change waves without dramatic changes in color and density (normally).

So more directly at your question....
There are 8 channels, two for each color A side and B side.
If you are missing nozzles in either the A or B channel of a color you can print ONLY with the other channel if needed, this is half speed, of course, as you have found out.

I usually print primarily in 2 modes.

Graphics 2, 720x720 for impecable quality for pop, wraps and demos on vinyl (>85 sq.ft./hr)
Banner 4, 720x720 for banners, matte vinyl or anything with a viewing distance over 6 ft.(>145 sq.ft./hr)

longbeachmichael

we have profiles written for almost every print mode. i am using production manager 8.5 that comes with flexi, and the print modes are not correct. when i choose banner 4 , it tells me that its bidirectional and 4 passes, when its actually unidirectional. as far as the effects go, thanks for info, now i know whats going on.

randya

On many applications going from bi d to uni d the profile will be alright.
This slows the printing down almost half.

If the profile was actually written in uni, it can have too much ink for bi.

The fundamental key to solvent printing is the evaporation of solvents.

There are 3 key factors.

1. the media, how fast and how much ink can it absorb and adsorb.
2. temp settings
3. the environment of the print area - solvent evaporate slower in cold or humid environments.

1 and 2 are functions controlled by the profile, ink limits, ink restrictions and temp settings.

longbeachmichael

i leave the profiles to pros, im saying that if i choose mutoh 13oz scrim banner VJ B4 profile, its supposed to be bidirectional-4passes, but it prints unidirectional, only on my newer VJ 1204.

randya

Check with Signwarehouse, the 1204 is an OEM printer for them that has their version of firmware.

They have modes custom to them, that may differ from Mutoh branded VJ-1204's.