• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wayfinding Signage Abbreviations

ruckstande

Is there a standard list or at least a usable list somewhere of wayfinding signage abbreviations? Something universal like RG.W = Regulatory Wall, RG.P=Regulatory Pole, Mon=Monument, DIR=Directional, etc.?. I know many but I know there are way more than I can think of. Thanks.

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
In my experience, there are no standards. Every EGD firm I've worked with and/or worked for has had its own standard nomenclature, abbreviations, sign type hierarchy, etc. The same goes for every sign company I've worked with and/or for. It's gotten really confusing at times when the EGD firm & the sign fabricator both wanted to use their standards when preparing submittals and shop drawings.. I don't think it would be possible to have a set of standard abbreviations tho because there are so many different sign types and, because every firm/fabricator has its own nomenclature and terminology, there so many different names for each of those sign types. Are you trying to decipher someone else's plans or are you designing a wayfinding program for a client?

ruckstande

In my experience, there are no standards. Every EGD firm I've worked with and/or worked for has had its own standard nomenclature, abbreviations, sign type hierarchy, etc. The same goes for every sign company I've worked with and/or for. It's gotten really confusing at times when the EGD firm & the sign fabricator both wanted to use their standards when preparing submittals and shop drawings.. I don't think it would be possible to have a set of standard abbreviations tho because there are so many different sign types and, because every firm/fabricator has its own nomenclature and terminology, there so many different names for each of those sign types. Are you trying to decipher someone else's plans or are you designing a wayfinding program for a client?
I have a program I'm working on from scratch with various sign types. We as a company don't really have a nomenclature standard but I'd like to at least start this program on the right foot since I'm working on a sales design.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
There are standards - but it depends on which subject you are talking about.

The one that irks me a lot is people putting KMS on a sign, for kilometres, when the international standard abbreviation is km, all lowercase, no plural S at the end.

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
I believe he was referring to standard abbreviations for sign types - "Something universal like RG.W = Regulatory Wall, RG.P=Regulatory Pole, Mon=Monument, DIR=Directional, etc.?" - not units of measurement.

Johnny Best

You mean like GTFOH abbreviation for "Get The Fu*k Outta Here"

Attachments

• GTFOH.jpg
    GTFOH.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 115

signbrad

This may be off the mark...

I seldom abbreviate on submittal drawings. I use designations like, "Type 1, Type 1A, Type 2, Type 3, Type 4," etc.
Then I provide a key:
Type 1 Room signs
Type 1A Room signs with slot
Type 2 Restroom
Type 3 Directional
Type 4 Floor directory
and so on.

I create a custom key like this for each drawing set and do not have a standard system.

In my opinion, abbreviations are often troublesome and I avoid them whenever possible. I treat many architects like head lice—do the best I can and hope they go away.

Brad in Kansas City

Moze

Precision Sign Services
What signbrad said. Industry standard is to assign a sign type / designation for each sign type. The designation will often refer to the sign type, floor, location (N, S, E, W) on the floor, etc.

Screenshot_20230713-215225.png

Screenshot_20230713-214625.png

Screenshot_20230713-213851.png

Screenshot_20230713-223206.png

Last edited:

gnubler

I treat many architects like head lice—do the best I can and hope they go away.
I feel that way about realtors.

Wow Moze, a project like that would make my head explode. When I go into larger facilities I always look around at the signage and wonder how it's all coordinated. Does the interior decorator or architect design all the signage and then contract it out to a sign shop?

MJ-507

Master of my domain.

Wow Moze, a project like that would make my head explode. When I go into larger facilities I always look around at the signage and wonder how it's all coordinated. Does the interior decorator or architect design all the signage and then contract it out to a sign shop?
That depends on the job. At my work, about 50% of the wayfinding projects we receive are designed by EGD firms and/or architects, and about 50% are designed in-house by me and the rest of the Design department. I think the largest wayfinding program I designed had about 4800-5000 signs which meant a 30+ page location plan denoting 4800-5000 individual sign locations using a format similar to the examples uploaded by Moze. Currently, we are working on a project - designed by an EGD firm - for a data center (being built for one of the larger social media firms whose name I can't legally divulge) that consists of over 17,000 signs. I haven't started on it yet, but I'm estimating that the location plan alone will be over 100+ pages, along with a drawing package that will be over 150 pages and message layouts for each sign that will add another 150-200 pages.

Moze

Precision Sign Services

Just like eating an elephant....one bite at a time. Installing sign packages consisting of a few thousand signs is a fairly normal occurrence for me. I actually enjoy it as long as everyone involved has done their part of the job correctly. A bad GC, a Project Manager that is in over their heads, a sign company that isn't used to dealing with these size projects, etc., can make it an absolute nightmare.

MJ-507 answered your question pretty well. Architects and EGD firms are generally steering the ship on these types of projects. There are a few select sign companies that focus on this type of signage and they often do the design work in-house.

Gene@mpls

My daughter and I were in a Sign biz for 20years, she moved to Austin Tx and now is doing project management like the one above- sometimes 1-2 million $. She should have taken over the biz when I retired?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
My daughter and I were in a Sign biz for 20years, she moved to Austin Tx and now is doing project management like the one above- sometimes 1-2 million $. She should have taken over the biz when I retired?

Pretty good chance I've worked with her....or at least the company she's with.