• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Web Hosting

Flanuva

What web hosting service do you guys use for your websites?

Anyone use Blacktip Hosting? I am looking to have 2 websites up and need some advice. I really dont want to do the godaddy thing.
Thanks,

Walt

njshorts

No experience with Blacktip, but after going through 4-5 hosts and getting sick of overloaded servers, I switched to Fourbucks.net about 3 years ago- their load levels are always low, quick customer service and support... love em.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
sitevalley.com is my host. Love them. Prices are good, not content or bandwidth nazi's like some other ones and their tech support is great. Did an uptime monitor on a couple of my websites last month ... went down for 7 minutes at like 3am one day and that is it. (probably maintnence)

Letterbox Mike

We switched to inmotion hosting a few months back and so far it seems great. Good customer service and tech support and we haven't seen any servers go down yet.

Rooster

I've been using godaddy. I was having some issues with load speed on some wordpress sites, but they migrated me to a new server free of charge and it's all good again.

royster13

Shared hosting is just that.....Works great and is cheap until your new neighbour becomes a bandwidth hog....Sometimes it it just plain luck of the draw versus any skill your web host has...A dedicated server can be had to 40.00 a month...Solves most bandwidth issues but requires more technical skill....

VinylLabs.com

I host. I run about 30 sites, but you can get cheaper prices from more reputable companies. checkout dotgig.com and hostgator. get somethign with cpanel. all the sites I host are sites i've done for clients.

njshorts

Shared hosting is just that.....Works great and is cheap until your new neighbour becomes a bandwidth hog....Sometimes it it just plain luck of the draw versus any skill your web host has...A dedicated server can be had to 40.00 a month...Solves most bandwidth issues but requires more technical skill....

This is exactly why I switched. Do your research and try out an account- take statistics and log the performance of the box... it's how I made my decision. I get the performance of a VPS without the cost. (FWIW, I've been a sysadmin/contractor for 11 years aside from a signmaker- did a LOT of research and months of due diligence)

royster13

Are you saying with your host there is no chance a high bandwidth neighbour can move in and mess things up?....Or has it been that you have just been "lucky" so far?....

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I swiched the 8 domains I host all over to Site5 about 2 years ago and have been very very pleased. Excellent support (tickets responded to generally in under an hour), and control panel implementation with granular single site and multi site management. On the one site we use about 20GB of bandwidth a month with no issues at all. Also get full ssh shell access to run cron jobs and other very advanced tools many hosts do not allow access to and of course all the standard functions like Mysql, current PHP, multiple webmail client choices, etc.

njshorts

Are you saying with your host there is no chance a high bandwidth neighbour can move in and mess things up?....Or has it been that you have just been "lucky" so far?....

any number of things can mess your services up, I'd be more concerned about local resources than bandwidth. the vast majority of your shared hosting problems will have nothing to do with bandwidth, rather I/O, RAM, Disk Space, etc. you have the same risk with any platform, be it shared, VPS, dedicated or otherwise... any host with a decent set of round-robin sonicwalls can be taken down by a DDOS which will affect all services.

with that risk existing in nearly every offering, it's more important to look at the state of overselling, the load averages on the box and available resources.

for example, the server I'm on has plenty of memory and 4 xeon processors with enough hard drive space to handle everyone's storage... as well as 4x 100mbit carriers. it's all about mitigating risk and handling what you can, preparing as best as possible for what you can't control. finding a host that actually cares and doesn't see you as a number is the hardest part- if they don't care, a server that could handle 300 accounts of a certain size will house over 1000 and hurt the performance of all on the server, just to increase profits.

roughly, that's why I've finally settled on a hosting home.

Craig Sjoquist

Well I'm not into all this techy stuff about hosting etc .. but I have 12 websites on 000webhost for free and one on the upgraded version 24host of theres, very happy mainly cause I don't know whats really better and I've not learned how to make a website yet other then with web builders supplied.
The younger generations sure got it going on learning computers in grade schools, hope ya'll make the best of it.

signswi

HostGator for shared hosting, hands down. Dedicated or VPS is another discussion not one too many sign shop sites are going to have to worry about. If your shared gets slow you probably should spend time on caching and offsite media hosting (amazon s3, whatever) before you look at going all the way to VPS or dedicated.

njshorts

So how do you tell how many accounts they have sold on a particular server?.....

asking is the first step, if they can't give you a policy- would seem fishy for me. second option (although only good for rough estimating) would be to sign up for one month and google the IP of the machine that you're set up on- robtex can show a good number of the accounts on the server.

The best bet to figure out what the overall performance of the server would be a simple bash/ksh script that dumps the memory, load and disk usage on an interval. Most hosts will allow scripts/cron to run this on a schedule.