• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

website concept

Circleville Signs

I like the concept - it's bold and showcases what you do nicely.

I have 2 main concerns...

1. Dark colored backgrounds turn me off. They tend to condense the content. I like things to feel open.

2. Currently, the splash image is so large that it is causing me to have to scroll down to see your content. i would consider using CSS to place the text content boxes so that they top 1/3 or so floats over the main image.

Tovis

I'll think about the background.

I've been toying with the sizes and such. If I make it to look good for laptop monitors it looks not as good on bigger monitors and visa versa trying to find a happy medium.

ucmj22

works fine on my screen, but ive got a 27" imac. Seems a little uninspired to me at the moment... not sure how i would fix it, just my first impression.

Nightshift

You could also try to create some depths into the background. Making some sort of gradient with a brighter blue and fade out on the sides to a darkblue. Maybe some "cast of shadow" from the slideshow.

This is just what I think. But good work so far!

Tovis

You could also try to create some depths into the background. Making some sort of gradient with a brighter blue and fade out on the sides to a darkblue. Maybe some "cast of shadow" from the slideshow.

This is just what I think. But good work so far!

I was thinking about some texture. I'll toy with that, thanks!

Tovis

I figured, just needed more to go from then uninspired.

Do you think some texture might help?

ucmj22

I figured, just needed more to go from then uninspired.

Do you think some texture might help?

Texture might hurt it more than help. Like nightshift said, a soft gradient some shadows on your white boxes so everything doesn't seem so flat

Circleville Signs

That helps, although now you have the problem of accentuating the overall "flatness" of the site. Also, the texture is just HORRIBLE. Feels like a site designed back in the early 90's.

Try making your text boxes feel dimensional.

Check out the front page of this site - www.ericmaddenconsulting.com

I didn't do this site, but the front page really "pops" off the screen.

qmr55

You're going in the right direction. Get rid of the texture that doesn't work.

Move "media" in the log at the top right, over to the right more so it's not on top of the "m" but only in the line.

I would go with a all white background and maybe a light grey box at the top in the background behind everything. Use shadows to make the text boxes look more 3d like they're coming off the screen