• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wednesday Coro-Plane update. She's In!!

daveb

General Know-it-all
We're all just jealous, :cool1:. Always wanted to build a helicopter... it's on my bucket list. Live long and prosper young Skywalker! By the way... Coro aught to give you a ton of money for that thing when you're ready to move on to the the next model.:thumb: Make a great attraction at the next Sign Expo! Just sayin'

threads1

Hey Man...I just checked out the poop sheet on your power plant.....sweet! I'm betting your off the ground at around 40mph and around 100 feet of runway.

Holeshotrob

That is friggin amazing!
I sure hope it all works out for you. This obviously isn't the first time you've built a plane. We need some guys like you out here in Washington at the "Big B". Come finish this new jet so we can start production on it, lol.

SignManiac

Thanks everyone. This really has been a fun diversion for us. Not only that, we've learned an awful lot in the process. I'm really blown away at how strong coroplast is when you start thinking of it as a construction material with some common sense engineering principles. We're already thinking about building a second one but even better with a few improved design and structural changes.

It would have been a lot easier if we wanted to cheat and use other materials, but our goal was to stay true to using plastic material only. Rubber wheels would have been nice and aluminum for the wing spars. The only cheat area was the wire cables that link all the controls. Any day now!

SignManiac

Well, as typical of the best laid plans, it doesn't look like we are going to make our July 4th inaugural flight. The company that built the prop, built it wrong, it's backwards. So now we have to wait until they make the new one and ship it to us from Canada.

Anyway, we went ahead yesterday and redesigned the new and improved engine mount and finished guy wiring the underneath side of the elevators. Here are a few new photos of yesterdays progress. But there is really light at the end of the tunnel now. It just feels more like a real plane with the engine on it.

Attachments

• CIMG3131.JPG
    CIMG3131.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 96
  • CIMG3126.JPG
    CIMG3126.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 116
  • CIMG3135.JPG
    CIMG3135.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 111
  • CIMG3137.JPG
    CIMG3137.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 107
  • CIMG3138.JPG
    CIMG3138.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 123
  • CIMG3129.JPG
    CIMG3129.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 113
  • CIMG3130.JPG
    CIMG3130.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would be afraid of the motor melting close-by coro more than anything, but I'm sure you're aware of that. How did you overcome that?

SignManiac

Asbestos underwear for the pilot and well thought out crumple zones :) Okay, the plane won't be flying a long time and there is plenty of air flow underneath the exhaust pipe. If worse comes to worse and it becomes an issue, we will find some type of insulating material to buffer any heat from coming into contact with the coroplast. There's three layers so it would take a while to burn through.

SignManiac

Yep, exactly what it is. We need a tractor prop. It was the prop builders error. Those darn Canadians, whatcha gonna do?

CES020

Do you really want to be using a prop from a prop company that makes errors like that? :covereyes:

At least they figured it out BEFORE the flight :Big Laugh

Best of luck, keep us informed :)

You need a "tractor prop"? Where's Mosh when you need him? I'm sure he's got one laying around!

we wouldn't have...wait a moment....better not speak for anyone but myself...i wouldn't have held it against you if you would have 'cheated' and used rubber wheels, aluminum, etc..this whole project is too cool. i am frightened to think what you could do with scrap vinyl, i've seen giant balls and an employee of mine saved all the bunched up vinyl and created a permantly reclined recliner..he just enjoyed sitting in it much more than working once the project was completed.

myself i would insulate the engine so that you can prolong the flight should you wish...you guys ARE going to get this thing up in the air & who knows after that you might just want to enjoy it for a little bit... having the plane slowly melt away would be a bummer of a way to end your maiden flight.

sorry if i this has already been mentioned but where is this debut flight going to take place? i hope you are taking advantage of all of the advertising opportunities..i would have local news present, would have an ongoing blog, i would definitely inform trade magazines as well as material manufacturers (you might end up with a lifetime supply of coro or somethign :)... the possibilities are endless, i know that is probably the furthest thing from your mind but this is a great marketing opportunity on many many levels.

SignManiac

Well we've had a few minor setbacks beyond our control, but we're getting really close now. Dan, we reconsidered and decided to cheat and upgrade the wheels, I think you convinced me, thanks! :)

Still waiting on the prop/pulley spacer from the engine manufacturer, they screwed up and shipped it to California instead of Florida, dumb asses. Not having a lot of patience, I whipped up a temporary one on the router table to break the engine in! Seems to be fine.

We have now taken it outside and did the first self powered engine run in the yard. Unfortunately, the ground is very uneven and not a good place to test it but it was fun none the less :) Finally got to see the plane run under its own power. Marcus got nervous because this thing wanted to take off as soon as he gave it a little throttle. No brakes on this plane :)

This engine blows my mind with how much thrust it has. The shop today must have been over a 100 degrees so we pointed the ass of the plane out the door and instantly evacuated all the heat in the building!

Weather permitting, this coming Sunday is the day we hope to get it off the ground. It's questionable, they're talking a possible tropical storm coming though here on the weekend :(

Well, I am officially excited! Its starting to get real now. This crap is too much fun.

Ok now, that was a real PITA... I had to upload to youtube instead and it now seems to be working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAx_gQ9XupE

Lets hope this does it.

Attachments

• !almost done.JPG
    !almost done.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Usually VLC plays .mov files, but it wouldn't run for me, either -- and I was thinking I might have to break down and install Quicktime, but I'm glad to hear it might be the file itself and I'll gladly wait for a working version instead of installing Quicktime.