• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

weeding after wet application with masking tape

bulbus_maximus

Has anyone done weeding after wet application of vinyl on window? The masking tape can be taken off after 3-4 hours only before there is a reasonable bond of the vinyl with the substrate - only then can the weeding of the unwanted material be done from the glass. So I am wondering if the weeding will happen easily, if I leave this overnight - and hopefully without lifting any of the letters (as these need to stay):help

I need to do this to get the alignment right as the bordering vinyl (to be weeded out) acts as a guide for me.
TIA

Mainframe

I would add some square blocks, or lines or crop marks to the file and remove them after installing a "weeded" graphic. Put them on each corner or underneath or any place needed to help you align your install. I would never weed the graphic after the install, just remove the extra alignment "blocks" you put in to help you get your graphic on straight when you are finished.

bulbus_maximus

Thanks Main - What happens if I take the whole vinyl and wet apply and then after it dries up, I weed. Will this work or will it take away the graphic also as the adhesive attaches together?

Pat Whatley

The problem is that sometimes the vinyl sticks real well and it's gonna take forever to weed it once it's stuck. Then you've got to worry about removing any glue residue without harming the letters you left behind. Plus you're talking about making two trips and a lot of work out of a simple window lettering job. Use registration blocks and you'll nail it quickly and easilly....and all in the same trip.

CentralSigns

Have you tried Rapid-tac. Spray some on the tape, and after a few min the glue is affected enough to release from the vinyl. If it isn't spray some more wait a couple more mins and viola. Then the vinyl is weeded, at a time when the vinyl stick to window is a little less, since it hasn't totally dried out from application. I would think the longer you leave it the harder the job it will be. Worth a try?

gabagoo

I generally use "PRE MASK" for vinyl lettering. You may be waiting a lifetime if you used masking tape hehehe:ROFLMAO: