• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding tips anyone?

I don't feel the need, nor do I have the time to respond to many posts unless I feel like I have high quality and unique info to provide... besides that though, how far back did they have to go to find that post -- 2007? It must have been buried pages and pages deep in the forum.

They use the search system, but only pay attention to the information and don't really bother to notice the date. It's a fairly common problem with forums of any real age. I'm sure a pre-post page that says "Warning, this topic is X days old, do you still wish to post?" or "The last reply was on X date, do you still wish to post?" would probably eliminate 90% of the thread revivals, but it's not to say that reviving some of these topics is a bad thing.

Are you implying that he was searching for questions to answer? Like building street cred?

joeshaul

Are you implying that he was searching for questions to answer? Like building street cred?

Nah, more than likely he was looking for some weeding tips then decided to contribute how he weeds. Occasionally I'll use the search engine for some advice on a type of material or something, find a thread that's interesting then realize it was started three years ago. I usually look at dates before I bother posting though, mainly cause I don't want to be the first one that bumped a three year old thread.

Allied Digital

How do you get just the right "angle" of light for your weeding?

Do you have a special setup or just use ambient light?
Light yes - angle of the light, whatever type, is important. White being the hardest, a trick I learned years ago (but no longer use) is pounce chalk rubbed over the unweeded vinyl. Makes the cut lines show up.

laforestsigns

Here's a tip from way back ! if its a short run job ar really small text , throw the roll in the freezer for 15 minutes . when it gets back to room temp the text will separate making weeding a snap ! also depending on the thickness of your liner you could use a light box . we cut a hole in a 4x8 table and mounted a standard flourescant light in the table and covered it with glass . its amazing how easy on the eyes it makes it ! also great for doing layers with no reg marks .

strypguy

Light table

I built my own light table for weeding framed out of 2x4s and the top is 1/4" tempered glass. I have 4' flourescent lights mounted underneath the table.
You can see the lines very nicely on white or any vinyl for that matter.
Great for layering vinyl if you go that route too.

John

:goodpost:
We took an old glass patio door, built a frame, installed a 4' 4 tube fluorescent underneath and wished we did this years ago!!! Works awesome on light colored vinyl.

Larry L

I have a custom table I built that's about 32" x 10 ft. the right side has a 1 1/4 " dowel with yokes to hold transfer. The top is 3/8" glass. It works great. My # 11 blades are kept rounded at the tip with a 600 stone. A 4ft light fixture is over head. This set up works great and the small edge lip allow me to use spring clamps to hold material down for sticking.

Jim Doggett

we just use regular lights from the ceiling, sometimes we have to look at an angle to see the cut lines. But usually once u start in the right corner it will all pull and weed pretty easy

Light table. Easy to fabricate, and you'll take tons of time off of your weeding time.

IMHO,

jd

Correction: Redundant!

Last edited:

Jim Doggett

But another suggestion is to try every tool: weeder-knife; tweezer; weeder-pin. Spend a few bucks and some time testing what works best for you. The pay-off is days, weeks maybe even months of time-saving.

IMHO,

jd

FINBAR

is it mandatory for all newbies to pull up years old threads? just always seems to happen when we get a new person.
NEW

"New persons" need help------not "put downs" from experienced people.
Who helped you, or from whom did you seek help when you started in your sign business.
Surely a Forum survives from the arrival of "newbies" and even dealing with the rehash of problems previously dealth with----not necessarily solved,
As a "newbie" should I feel reluctant to post a query if it might result in a similar response?
Personally -------no.
Finbar

amy s.

NEW

"New persons" need help------not "put downs" from experienced people.
Who helped you, or from whom did you seek help when you started in your sign business.
Surely a Forum survives from the arrival of "newbies" and even dealing with the rehash of problems previously dealth with----not necessarily solved,
As a "newbie" should I feel reluctant to post a query if it might result in a similar response?
Personally -------no.
Finbar

Thanks for saying it. I've not asked a question several times because I didn't want to incur the wrath. I've been in the business 17 years and I like to help others get started. That's what its all about, passing along what we have learned from those before us, not humiliating people for asking. No stupid question, just stupid attitude. I've gotten great help from some very generous people here and I hope they outnumber the "others".:thumb: