• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird print issue

GVP

Greetings! For internal use, we quite often print to our black & white laser rather than the color printer. Using Corel X5, it's coming out weird. For example a black rectangle with white text over, prints out as a grey dithered box with black text? Printing the same thing from another program prints correctly. Any ideas or suggestions? I assume it is a setting in Corel, but what?

2B

do you have multiple pages within that file?
depending on your printer settings, it could be reading/combining multiple pages when you try to print

have you switched your view to wireframe to see if there are any hidden layers

GVP

do you have multiple pages within that file?
depending on your printer settings, it could be reading/combining multiple pages when you try to print

have you switched your view to wireframe to see if there are any hidden layers

Thanks - but no, definitely not that. Even creating a simple test page produces the weirdness. If I have two identical lines of type, set one to black (C0,M0,Y0,K100) and the other to white (C0,M0,Y0,L0) they both print black!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
That's weird. Because if the preview is correct, I would think it's in the printer settings. Have you double checked them all?

Not that I think this would apply, but what version do you have? I know the Student version doesn't allow printing in color. Maybe there's something like that going on. Can you save it to a PDF and have it print fine?

OR, a better question would be, were you able to print this same file correctly before today?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Have you tried flattening the PDF? Sometimes we get problems on our digital machines that’s sorted with flattening the PDF, usually something to do with drop shadows/transparency. That or we tick the “composite overlay” button. Not sure if you have one of those! Would depend on softwarez

GVP

I'm convinced it's a weirdness between the printer and X5. The same file printed via X3 comes out fine, as well as via Illustrator.

Anyhow, after a bit of tinkering I solved the issue using the Canon XPS driver instead of the regular Canon one - just in case anyone else has the same problem.