• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Weird printing

ElevateWraps

Whats up everybody, quick question I just got a Roland Sc540ex print test is coming out fine besides 2, (light magenta and light cyan) I'm already working on fixing those. I'm thinking the lines might just be clogged. But my question is has anyone ever came across this type of print. I can't find to see what the issue is. Really appreciate the feedback.
20220905_173116.jpg

netsol

carefully clean encoder strip with isopropyl alcohol

do a really good head soak, at least overnight,
take a syringe and flush alcohol or flush through the pumps and line leading to the, as well as to drain bottle

uou will probablynrnd up buying new heads, though

ElevateWraps

Thank you sorry for the late reply. yea I was thinking the same thing with the heads but first want to try my luck before buying some heads. What I'm confused is that, would having bad heads cause that print shifting like that?
I will keep this post updated with pictures. Thank you brother.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Used to run all Rolands... Start with the linear encoder strip, that tells the head where it's at. It's a plastic strip up in the rail with millions of little invisible magnetic strips in it that a sensor reads to locate the horizontal position. When it gets dirty/ damaged, the head can't tell where it is and it just goes crazy like that, simple dust build up can do it, oil on it, if the sensor contacts it it'll scratch it... If it's just dirty you can carefully clean it with alcohol, both front and back of it with 90% iso (I used to bend the plastic handles on swabs to do the back) and sometimes they'll work perfect again, but it's thin plastic, so don't damage it. If it's just dirty that'll bring it back, if it's scratched or damaged it won't. It's not that hard to replace, just held in with a spring, just gotta be careful sliding the new one down the track, one scratch in the area it reads, and it's done. Had to replace them periodically on my old machines for doing the same thing. clean the sensor when you replace it too, usually when the sensor goes bad it won't print at all, but it needs to read the strip. That's a pretty common thing in the older series. Think still have a service manual for the 545EX, if you need it, let me know.

PS: after you clean it, run the linear encoder setup

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I agree with above. The stair step pattern usually indicates a bad encoder. I would lean more towards bad trailing or head cables as well though. The digital looking pattern you are getting usually indicates more of an electrical issue The encoder data is sent back to the main board via the trailing cables so if that cable goes bad, you can get a combination of weird digital effects and stair stepping which is seems like that's what you're getting here.