• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what are different graphics softwares available?

Flame

Corel is a very popular one for smaller signs, though the workspace permitted can hamper larger jobs. I like the Flexi family software for an all in one type of program.

Corel has a larger working space than Flexi, last time I checked. :thankyou:

jiarby

Ok, Seeker....

You have seen that we like to play games, but only because we get these kinds of treads almost every day. Your response does have kind of a wikipedia sound to it but understanding the difference between vectors abd bitmaps is key to your graphics success.

You will learn the strengths and weaknesses of each one, when to use one over the other, when to use bitmaps in a vector drawing.... and when to use vector objects in a bitmap.

You have gotten here some serious responses, and some not so serious.

Fred had the best rundown but he left out a couple.

Inkscape is a free opensource vector illustration application

Photoshop is the most popular bitmap editor, used in conjunction with Illustrator. Both are Adobe products.

Corel Software makes Corel Draw (vector illustration) and also PhotoPaint (for bitmap editing)

I personally have most of the applications that have been listed (Photoshop, Illustrator, Draw, Photopaint, Inkscape, Publisher, etc....)

I personally use Draw and Photopaint more than the others...primarily because my store started out as an awards engraving business and the engraving machine works with a Corel Draw plug in. When we bought our Mutoh I just kept using Illustrator.

Most wrap designers use Illy & Photoshop together but Corel & Photopaint would work too. It is just a matter of what tool feels good in your hand.

Signage & Vehicle Wraps are completely different animals than most other graphical jobs (like print ads, web sites, business cards, POS displays, trade show stuff, etc..) because of the physical size of the art.

I cant tell you how many customers come in with a file from their "designer"... it is invariably someone's nephew or son of a friend that only uses Photoshop. I call the kid and ask for an EPS vector file of the logo because we are making a large banner so he sends me an EPS file but it only contains the same bitmap as the PSD file. I call back and he has no idea what is going on. He thinks exporting from photoshop to EPS converts his file to a vector. Nope.

My advice to you is a couple things...

1. Do not go into debt to go to college to get a graphics degree.
2. Find out of you have any artistic talent at all. Anime characters and skulls don't count. If a customer wants a sign that says "Welcome" can you draw an illustration that says welcome without using words.
3. Learn about composition, layout, and especially color. (buy a book...don't go to college for this)
4. Take Eddy Merckx's advice. If you want to be a good artist then "Draw Lots"
Get Photoshop & Illy... or Corel. Take all the tutorials you can find. Draw everything you see.

the_seeker

My advice to you is a couple things...

1. Do not go into debt to go to college to get a graphics degree.
2. Find out of you have any artistic talent at all. Anime characters and skulls don't count. If a customer wants a sign that says "Welcome" can you draw an illustration that says welcome without using words.
3. Learn about composition, layout, and especially color. (buy a book...don't go to college for this)
4. Take Eddy Merckx's advice. If you want to be a good artist then "Draw Lots"
Get Photoshop & Illy... or Corel. Take all the tutorials you can find. Draw everything you see.
thx alot ...

JR's

I licke signlab but it is exspensive, and a lot of people here use corel and there stuff looks just as good if not better. good luck on your jurny.