• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What computer for RIP?

Jasmin

Founder
Hey! Using Sai flexi RIP, when we started last year it was only compatible with windows 10, So I went to Best Buy and purchased the only Windows 10 laptop they had and its not good. Very little storage. Any recommendations on what computer I should buy to run my RIP on? Not too pricey but still good. What do you guy use?

Thanks

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have this one. There's lots of threads on this subject if you search for "new computer" or "computer requirements" stuff like that. I bought this one based on those threads. So far, I like it a lot. I've always had good luck with Lenovos.

1705692743431.png

JBurton

Signtologist
Or, go for gold and pay through the nose for a signburst system. Not often that it would save me money, I can rip from my design computer and print later most days, but the few times I've sat and messed with rip settings on large files I would have benefitted from one of their systems. It's also really helpful for the woefully ignorant, as they provide support for typical sign software too(or so I've heard, their website doesn't mention as much...)

I've always had good luck with Lenovos.
I've bought 3 workstations this past year from them. First thing I did was 'upgrade' to windows 10 pro. They've been stout machines, to the point that one of my salesmen can now generate such stupid sized mural files that want to crash my little old daily driver.

netsol

Or, go for gold and pay through the nose for a signburst system. Not often that it would save me money, I can rip from my design computer and print later most days, but the few times I've sat and messed with rip settings on large files I would have benefitted from one of their systems. It's also really helpful for the woefully ignorant, as they provide support for typical sign software too(or so I've heard, their website doesn't mention as much...)

I've bought 3 workstations this past year from them. First thing I did was 'upgrade' to windows 10 pro. They've been stout machines, to the point that one of my salesmen can now generate such stupid sized mural files that want to crash my little old daily driver.
looks like a nice machine...
ISN'T IT SAD, that they have to announce that they are bloatware free?
dell & hp have ruined the industry loading the machine with garbage

i had lunch with a large client a couple months back and i said how stupid this is.
if i setup a system for you and the junk i put on ate up all the speed of the new computer, you would never do business with ME AGAIN.

you can't even install office 365 on a new computer & expect it to work without using the "OFFICE SCRUBBER" before you go to office.com to download
the microsoft software.

WildWestDesigns

To be fair, all the main brands do it with their off the shelf rigs.

But just think, I read that the min requirements are going up for Win 12 (for their AI stuff), so that will have even more RAM to add stuff on there. So glad that I don't deal with Win or Mac, but I digress.

One of the main reasons why I have been a firm believer of custom builds (either DIY or hire a respected 3rd person to do it). Even if taking the time to strip out all that stuff, it really is a pain.

JBurton

Signtologist
I forgot to mention, the upgrade to win 10 pro was due to the relatively small amount of bloatware, and my lazy ass not wanting to figure out what I needed to uninstall.
There's a clock app installed, is that lenovo or windows, wait, wtf does a clock app even do??

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Goes tickety tockety tickety tockety...
Slow down on the tick
Hang up on the tock
Switch out the slow
Spinny 1TB stock

(drive)

wonderings

Hey! Using Sai flexi RIP, when we started last year it was only compatible with windows 10, So I went to Best Buy and purchased the only Windows 10 laptop they had and its not good. Very little storage. Any recommendations on what computer I should buy to run my RIP on? Not too pricey but still good. What do you guy use?

Thanks
What is not good about it? If it is simply storage you can upgrade that easily and cheaply.

Precision

We looked at the specs on the signburst design computers. Then my 16 year old ordered the parts and now has built 3) 8 core 32mb computers for our shop and remote designer.

Did the same for our network server.

Each total cost of parts was about $1200 for hardy fast computers.

It's not hard to do.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I have two SignBurst computers and they're great. The last one I purchased with a solid state drive is lightning fast.

Casey quick to respond with a question if needed.

Highly recommended…

netsol

What is not good about it? If it is simply storage you can upgrade that easily and cheaply.
yes, but do yourself a favor, throw a few dollars extra at it &'buy a server grade SSD.
the ssd's are very fast, but the cheap ones tend to go bad like a magic trick, THERE ONE SECOND, GONE THE NEXT. sith no warning.

and for god sakes, set up a good backup.
buy an inexpensive NAS drive or (2) cheap usb externals.
WHAT YOU GET FOR THE PRICE OF THE NAS, is a backup that includes system state.
ths means, you restore a full, functional windows installation, WITH ALL YOUR PROGRAMS ACTIVATED.
it wont mean anything to you now, when the backup says "this location can not include system state".
you won't know what it means, (when you need to use it, IT WILL BE TOO LATE to change!)

do the old, legacy (windows 7 backup) & let it run 2 or 3 times a week.

the cheap backup to a $59. usb drive will be fine, but but will need to reinstall flexi, onyx or whatever you use, set product keys & drop profiles, etc in the correct locations BEFORE YOU ARE UP AND RUNNING

or just spend the $15./ mo. on crashplan, or buy carbonite & do an online backup (although they can be a bit of an adventure, getting back to exactly where you were.

JBurton

Signtologist
the ssd's are very fast, but the cheap ones tend to go bad like a magic trick, THERE ONE SECOND, GONE THE NEXT.
I set up a raid 0 drive (ya know, the striped volume) for maximum throughput as a secondary drive, then called it Stripper. She's fast, loose, and if anything happens she's gone with all your data.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
So, fast furious and volatile.
Couple of mid range ssd's, and chronosync (or whatever the PC equivalent) to an F450 (Ironwolf pack).

netsol

I set up a raid 0 drive (ya know, the striped volume) for maximum throughput as a secondary drive, then called it Stripper. She's fast, loose, and if anything happens she's gone with all your data.
perhaps we can redo it Raid 5?
uses 3,drives. if one fails, a light comes on, you swap the drive. it rebuilds. no data loss

IT MAKES YOU FEEL SO SMART, JUST REPLACING THE DRIVE AND IT DOES THE REST

JBurton

Signtologist
perhaps we can redo it Raid 5?
uses 3,drives. if one fails, a light comes on, you swap the drive. it rebuilds. no data loss

IT MAKES YOU FEEL SO SMART, JUST REPLACING THE DRIVE AND IT DOES THE REST
Eh, it's only 220gb, and I just use it for a temp location for mural projects and other obscenely sized art packets for pulling all 15 ADA signs from. Oh, and my page file is on it. Nothing I'd miss if it went kaput. In fact, I pulled both drives to clone another drive, and it didn't work for 3 days when all was put back in place, then out of nowhere it shows up again. Only problem now is any time I plug in a USB drive, then eject it, I have a 'ghost' drive that shows up, named after the drive I cloned, that acts like a removable drive that needs to be inserted.
But yeah, raid 5 is where it's at, but until I get my new pc built, I'll live on the edge!