• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What cutter to buy

robsonr

Hi everybody,

Let me introduce myself quickly. I originally bought my Copam CP-2500 cutter to do my boat graphics, when I decided that this is a fun and I could use it for small side business to make vinyl decals for public.
Recently I worked on a truck and trailer vinyl graphics for a commercial fleet and I realized that this equipment does not have all what is needed to efficiently deal with such job. The biggest issue is tracking where on 12 feet long graphics where it is quite off, if the blade goes couple times back and forward.
Long story short, I am slowly considering upgrade and I am turning into you if you please direct me what to buy. Here is some information to consider to direct me into right direction.
- I would like the cutter to handle as wide variety of the jobs as possible – from stencils for nail art to decals for trucks. (small delicate jobs as well as larger ones)
- As I mentioned, I am looking for a precise device where I don’t need to worry that after cutter head runs couple times 12’ feet forward and back that it is off by ½ inch or more and my work is ruined
- Right now, I must watch the device all the time while it is cutting, because it does not have catch baskets and vinyl can get easily tangled.
- I would like to be also able to print on vinyl. Not sure whether I should consider some of Roland devices which do both, or separate cutter and printer is a better set up.
- This is for me just a side business, and right now, I do not have plans to expand it to a full time business and therefore I will be looking into price range around $2000 either for used or brand new device.

I understand that my requirements are not very specific, but unfortunately, I do not have experience in sign making which would help me to determine what features I might need in a future and what features I most likely will never use. Any direction, suggestion is appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help.

mortil

hope you dont low-ball the industry prize with this side work

i also have it as an by the side business but use it all the time in my regular job.
i looked at an Graphtec ce5000 but ended up with an FC8000-130 after trying it out and i dont regret it at all .

another tip is to get yourself an thoughned/laminated glass and put a etched vinyl on one side. then put the glass on to some table legs and you got yourself an great light/cutting table with an light under it works great.

robsonr

hope you dont low-ball the industry prize with this side work

i also have it as an by the side business but use it all the time in my regular job.
i looked at an Graphtec ce5000 but ended up with an FC8000-130 after trying it out and i dont regret it at all .

another tip is to get yourself an thoughned/laminated glass and put a etched vinyl on one side. then put the glass on to some table legs and you got yourself an great light/cutting table with an light under it works great.

Thank you for your tip and suggestion. I really like the idea of having light under the table.

As far as lowballing goes, I try to offer competitive prices, but I have no intention to low ball.

Mosh

part timers kill the prices for everyone but me. Get a Roland, I have one still running and it is 21 years old.

CS-SignSupply-TT

robsonr, I have sold Roland, Summa, Graphtec, APD, and CoPam. Until recently, the aforementioned cutters were constantly compared to GRAPHTEC for performance and durability. If you are moving up from the CoPam, I would encourage you to seriously consider the Graphtec.

Mosh

I don't sell plotters and have used many different kinds, Roland are they true work horses. Ask these other jokers what plotter they were using in 1989, they were probly in grade school....or still sucking on their....thumbs.

CS-SignSupply

I don't sell plotters and have used many different kinds, Roland are they true work horses. Ask these other jokers what plotter they were using in 1989, they were probly in grade school....or still sucking on their....thumbs.

Graphtec FC2100-60 and Gerber 4b :) (CASmate for DOS too)

CS-SignSupply

The only issues... ONLY issues I had with Summa were related to the power supply on the D60 and D60u units.

The 'S' and 'T' Series have always been ROCK solid.

IMO

CheapVehicleWrap

Honestly if you're never going to go full time and you only have a $2000 budget save your money and everyone's time and change direction now, while you're ahead.

robsonr

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I have started to do research to figure out which one makes most sense for me.

robsonr

Honestly if you're never going to go full time and you only have a $2000 budget save your money and everyone's time and change direction now, while you're ahead.

I kind of disagree here. The fact that I have no plans going full time doesn't mean that I'm not interested. I have my job which I like and I don't see a point in dropping it and replacing it with new business where I don't have that much experience and it would be difficult to get it to point where it fully replaces my current income. Having said that, I really like doing graphic designs and playing with vinyl. For me it is excellent hobby which pays for itself and bring some extra little cash. Unless my circumstances change, I would like to keep it this way. That's that way I see it and I believe that there is nothing wrong with that.