• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What did these guys use to remove this trailer wrap???

I found this video on youtube:

The guys first spray on what they call a safe bio-degradable solution and the vinyl appears to just bubble up and slough off...

They then come back and pressure wash the glue off.

What do you think that solution is?

1623683485229.png 1623683534171.png 1623683626536.png

Wow. I don't know what they're using but I would pay a lot of money for something that works that well!

I find it hard to believe that anything that works that well could be bio-degradable though.
I agree... I tried a 50/50 water/pure citric acid bath but that didn't do anything

Someone commented that it's grog.

I watched a Grog (GraphXoff) video and it didn't come close to looking like what is in the video... something is just fishy about it. They say they will sell it to you if you go to where they are but they won't ship it. I feel like they are leaving something in the video out, like there is one more step in there.

on their website they are showing the chemical method and a traditional method using heat... what if the heat method is for graphics with a hard laminate and the chemical is for wraps with a liquid laminate... that almost makes some kind of sense.

rjssigns

I would agree with the chemical being used on wraps with liquid laminate. As far as stripping off the remaining glue...probably a hot water/steam pressure washer.

I'd like to see the trailer up close after pressure washing though. As thin as that aluminum is I can't believe they're not leaving tracks in it.

Retro Graphics

I don't know if it was this. But it definitely was not my experience with this product. I ended up throwing it in the garbage after trying it with 0 results.

I tried Crystal Tek for a job recently where I had to strip the van clean, and it did a pretty good job for me. I didn't have a brush to agitate so I just used a shop towel and wiped, it took like 90% of the rust stains off the paint and almost all the ghosting disappeared. I did not use it to remove adhesive, and even the Crystal Tek says it can work on small amounts of adhesive, it was not designed as an adhesive remover but more a ghost/oxidation cleaner.

We have been experimenting with vinyl removal products for a very long time. The results in the video, in my experience, can only be a highly toxic chemical. It is my guess that the description is misleading as it states only that it is biodegradable but no mention of its toxicity. The only products that we have used that act that quickly, unless the video is time lapsed, is Methylene chloride(dichloromethane) based products. Back in the 80s/90s there was a recipe that was formulated from a chemist friend that contained ethylene glycol monobutyl ether and one or more of some aromatic solvents like toluene, xylene and naphtha. The result was not as rapid but a headache was guaranteed.
Still haven't found any secret recipes that are economic, effective and don't have dangerous side effects. Not only is the toxicity omitted but the author didn't mention the cost to utilize the method. Our similar attempts were:
3-5 gallons Methylene chloride $295
4.5 Manhours; spray and peel $187.50
6 Gallons adhesive remover $228

10 Manhours; spray and pressure wash $950
45% profit $479.

Total Gross Profit $2139.50

Total Health Risks

• Nervous system effects such as cognitive impairment, effects on attention
  • Cancer of the liver, brain, and lung, as well as non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma or multiple myeloma
  • Liver toxicity
  • Kidney toxicity
  • Reproductive toxicity

Due to the serious health risks, Methylene chloride cannot be purchased outside of commercial distributors as of 2020. The new, non Methylene chloride products currently available at the big box stores are not as effective and are even more expensive, not to mention the rank odor.
Warning: Do not try to utilize methylene chloride products on Avery or other material with BLOCKOUT(dark Gray) backing, the dark gray material is a non-permeable coating that will separate from the vinyl causing unavoidable damage to the substrate.
Warning: Do not try to utilize methylene chloride products on Plate Vans/DuraPlate substrates as it will cause unavoidable damage to the paint.

Needless to say, this is not a viable product to use without serious Personnel Protective Equipment, instruction and policies.

We continue to try any new magical chemicals but have not found anything to be more effective than steam and hard work.

can you recommend a steamer that works well with trailers?
Trailer fleet Decal Removal: The Chief steamer is a fair product retrofitted with a plunger head on the end to capture and control steam. Chief has a 120v($1000) version and a 220v($2000) version. Difference is amount of sustained volume. Very affordable for an entry level system. For a more commercial unit, averaging 30+ hours a week, I prefer a purpose built system, Penta Steam($12,000) or a Optima DMF(diesel boiler design $9000), Or a Optima CMF(Diesel Coil design $14,000). The pricing is all approximate as costs are quite volatile right now as well as availability. The #1 dilemma for steam machines is hard water and failure due to scale build up. The Penta Steam unit has a Scale Management solution that is more economical and expedient.

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
I found this video on youtube:

The guys first spray on what they call a safe bio-degradable solution and the vinyl appears to just bubble up and slough off...

They then come back and pressure wash the glue off.

What do you think that solution is?

View attachment 154014 View attachment 154015 View attachment 154016
This has to be SS1 decal remover from New Image Technologies. These guys in Illinois developed this formula many years ago and it works exactly like this. We used it on a fleet of trailers before and purchased 55 gallon barrels of it in the early 2000s. Definitely pretty toxic stuff, we used it on trailers that had 20+ year old vinyl on them and it was absolutely the only thing that would work to remove the vinyl. https://ss1adhesiveremover.com/ product info and the actual company website. They are legit and you'll see similar pics on their website of removals like this. http://www.newimagetech.net/