• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you think is going on here?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

BTW, one of my client's is replacing a 8'x40' sign that fell over months ago... it happened before they bought the property. Guess what style mounting was holding the cabinet up? Match plates......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That looks totally doable. That's that new construction of wind and earthquake resilient coded sign codes. They're supposed to e able to give under certain conditions. Nothing at all to worry about. I'm sure the permit drawing and engineer drawings show all of this after they were issued the go-ahead.

This was about 6 months ago. Whatever happened ??

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
inflatable-tube-man-air-dancer.gif

Notarealsignguy

Maybe they should have used a DeWalt to dig the footers?
Not sure what exactly is going on there with the poles. Maybe not deep enough? Wedge anchors in concrete, threaded rod instead of J bolts?
That Dennys sign has a bunch of corrosion on the plate. The pressure from the rust forming between the plates could definitely weaken, stretch and/or snap the heads off of bolts.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Maybe they should have used a DeWalt to dig the footers?
Not sure what exactly is going on there with the poles. Maybe not deep enough? Wedge anchors in concrete, threaded rod instead of J bolts?
That Dennys sign has a bunch of corrosion on the plate. The pressure from the rust forming between the plates could definitely weaken, stretch and/or snap the heads off of bolts.

You could dig a 8' x 10' x 18" spread footing in under 30 seconds with the cordless rotary.

Notarealsignguy

You could dig a 8' x 10' x 18" spread footing in under 30 seconds with the cordless rotary.
That's kinda what I was thinking. You gonna get the new DeWalt mini ex when it comes out? You plug every battery you have into it and get about 2 mins out of it. Ya gotta be quick getting it off the trailer, that's included in that 2 minutes.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
That's kinda what I was thinking. You gonna get the new DeWalt mini ex when it comes out? You plug every battery you have into it and get about 2 mins out of it. Ya gotta be quick getting it off the trailer, that's included in that 2 minutes.

Anyone who's used one knows you roll it off in neutral so as not to consume battery life.

And hey, a mini excavator might not be far off. DeWalt has a prototype 9 ton log splitter (still has hydraulics). EGO has a battery powered 52" zero turn mower that will cover 4 acres on a single charge and is equivalent to a 25hp gas mower. DeWalt has a 60" one coming out eventually but the prototype caught on fire at the Equip Expo lol. They'll figure out the issue though and it's supposed to be good for an entire day of mowing. They're obviously not regular batteries. They're pretty large and expensive and it will run off multiples.

Johnny Best

Those look like Ibeams that were not engineered for the heavy load on top. I have always perfered thick wall pipe, but some like the cheaper I beams mainly because of the reduced cost.
As to the Denny sign was because of age and maintenance and probably the wrong engineering.

Johnny Best

Anyone who's used one knows you roll it off in neutral so as not to consume battery life.

And hey, a mini excavator might not be far off. DeWalt has a prototype 9 ton log splitter (still has hydraulics). EGO has a battery powered 52" zero turn mower that will cover 4 acres on a single charge and is equivalent to a 25hp gas mower. DeWalt has a 60" one coming out eventually but the prototype caught on fire at the Equip Expo lol. They'll figure out the issue though and it's supposed to be good for an entire day of mowing. They're obviously not regular batteries. They're pretty large and expensive and it will run off multiples.
I heard someplace they have a car that runs on batterie!

Notarealsignguy

All of the major equipment manufacturers are rolling out big battery powered machines at the trade shows. Battery powered forklifts and order pickers have been around for years with big lead acid battery packs and run in production warehouse environments. Electric scissors with 6 6volt deep cycle batteries, boomlifts, golf carts etc.
I did see the DeWalt mower fire, talk about egg on your face.