• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you think it takes............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To properly clean a full sized average van for a complete wrap ??

Bumper to bumper, in the cracks, jambs, under the fenders, grills, mirrors, under the hood, and anything else I forgot to mention.

How long to clean the dirt and then prep it to accept the laminated vinyl ?? Hour-wise..... not money-wise because we all have our individual hourly shop rates.

I'm thinking for one person to do it correctly about 5 to 6 hours.

:thankyou:

2B

half of what you think at the high end.

I's assuming you are also adding the air drying time?

Baz

Yeah i would be in the 2 hour range also.

If your gonna spend all day cleaning my van i would hope it included a thorough interior cleaning and shampoo :Big Laugh

Christian @ 2CT Media

We estimate 2-3 in case there is wax removal or heavy road tar build up. We also ask our clients to run it through a no wax carwash before drop off to help break down any build up and ease the process.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, we did two vans for a customer about two weeks ago or so, and I was looking at the time sheets and it looks like between two people, it took about 5.5 hours a vehicle. I had figured in 3 hours. I questioned it and the answer I got was.... do you want it done right or have the vehicle come back in a year with things peeling off ?? So, I dropped it, but the thread on here about cleaning windows got me to thinking. We don't wash windows for a living so we have professionals do it before we go it. So, if it's 5 or 6 hours, why not take it to a detailer and have it done perfectly and just omit the interior..... Baz ?? :rolleyes:

Like most of you, I figured going in at 3 hours would be fine, but we don't do a lot of complete bumper to bumper wraps, so I thought I might've not been thinking right.

Guess not............. :peace!:

player

To go over everything, 1-2 hours.

To thoroughly clean everything, I would think 4-6 hours if the vehicle is not factory new.

Baz

Rapid Remover takes care of road tar pretty easy.

Gino - Seems like it took a long time for two employees cleaning off two cars. Next time, glance over to see how they are doing it. Don't forget the whip .. You know, for motivational purposes!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yeah it's amazing how long it takes to remove tar and/or railroad dust when you come across it. It's always one of those ohhhh sh*t moments when you realize you're going to have to scrub every inch of a vehicle. :banghead:

Tar is the absolute worst.... we had a asphalt company truck that had tar all on the bottom of the entire truck. We spent 2 hours on just that, luckily they had some heavy duty solvent that loosened it from the paint.

johnnysigns

I budget for 2-3hrs for a thorough wipe down + pulling mirrors, tail lights and window seals if I need. That's based on the truck coming in within a day after a car wash. If the vehicles have not been through a wash or it's just filthy I pass the additional hours through to the client. 4.5hrs seems excessive personally.

skyhigh

the answer I got was.... do you want it done right or have the vehicle come back in a year with things peeling off ??

Sounds like your guys have been reading your post here on signs101.
Of perhaps, after working for you so long, they learned the fine art of......"WWGS"

(What Would Gino Say) :ROFLMAO:
otherwise known as BS )))))))))

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Emblem removal cleaning can take 10 minutes sometimes or 30 minutes sometimes...per emblem.
If it's a van that was wrapped previously and they went all Picasso with the Primer...all day to clean.
But by myself...if I've had coffee, I can do a Ford or Chevy Van in an hour. If the emblems don't leave crazy adhesive behind. That includes removing tail lights if needed, pulling down window rubber etc. Will I need a break before starting the wrap after that though...well yeah. But 5.5 hours to "do it right" sounds like something an hourly worker would say. Ask the guys that get paid per vehicle...and you'll get the REAL answer.

If they get paid per hour...of course it takes 5 hours.

player

The real test of cleaning might not show up right away. How long until the small crevices around windows and door edges start lifting?

the graphics co

Two people working in tandem should be able to clean a single van in less than an hour. Bumper to bumper, wrap ready cleaning, no question.

SignosaurusRex

If they are new vans and of size such as a Ford E-350....1 hour/1man max to prep, extra for full removal of mirrors, emblems, etc. Many variables here though.
Anything other than new....requires a survey to quote anywhere reasonably close. One can never shoot from the hip and come up with a reasonably accurate time estimate/allowance.

Mf

With two guys have them start at hood once hood is complete worker one starts hood install as worker two finishes cleaning time is money figure two guys can clean install in 5 hours, a van that is start to finish I wish I had a second for installs

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
We use this stuff called Ickee Stickee Unstuck and it eradicates about anything with on misting and one wipe. No idea where we got it.

http://www.franmar.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103&products_id=55

I should add that you definately do not want to get it on your skin, it burns until you thoroughly wash your hands.

Saw this post awhile back...bought this product...it works better than the rest. (Careful on some paint).
It doesn't work quite as magically as you described...but still better than the rest.
Thanks.

Snydo

Saw this post awhile back...bought this product...it works better than the rest. (Careful on some paint).
It doesn't work quite as magically as you described...but still better than the rest.
Thanks.
Sorry, wasn't trying to make it sound like magic but like you said yourself, it's pretty darn good.
One trick I have found on stubborn stuff is to wad a paper towel up and soak a 1" diameter area then dab onto the trouble spot and wait a minute then dab again and generally the glue will come off on the towel.

Pat Whatley

Shop owner - 1 hour - $40
$15 an hour employee - 3 hours - $45
$8 and hour employee - 6 hours - $48
Gino's employees - (2 at 5.5 hours) - 11 hours - $110

You want it done cheap you should have done it yourself.

Sometimes I clean and sometimes I'll hire a professional to clean....I'm not saying I can't do a good job but the guys with the right equipment seem to be more efficient at it. When I have the professionals do it they'll charge me an exact price so it's easy to budget it into the wrap. No surprises from employees taking longer than expected.