• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you think this is worth? In your area?

signbrad

attachment.php

Two sheets of Polymetal back to back. Treated wood posts. Finials from Home Depot. Reflective white.

Brad in Kansas City

Attachments

• Waldo Cloncord.jpg
    Waldo Cloncord.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 187

visual800

Here I would quote about $850 installed

whats it worth in my area, they wouldnt pay for that here, lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Between $1,300 - $1,600 installed. Other shops in our area would be much less. Probably $1,000 or $1,100.

Pat Whatley

It's two holes for 4x4 posts. If it's local my installer would charge me $30 including gravel and kwikcrete. Yeah, $65 all day long.

neato

Wow, I'm shocked at some of the pricing here.

I came in where Gino is at.

$65 to drive to the site, dig holes, sweat, curse, mix concrete, sweat, curse some more, set and level sign?

Wow, I'd rather go fishing.

T_K

$65 to drive to the site, dig holes, sweat, curse, mix concrete, sweat, curse some more, set and level sign?

It sounds like he's outsourcing the install. If you're only getting charged $30 for that service, then why not charge your customer $65. It's an easy $35 for you, and gives you a competitive edge.

Now, why on earth the installer would only charge $30 is beyond me. But if he's happy with that, ok.

neato

Personally, easy money or not, it's not worth $35 for me to be liable for that install.

I don't know how anyone could install that for $30. Quickcrete is $3 a bag. I'm guessing you don't have to go as deep in Alabama, but even if you used just 2 bags per post, that's $12 in concrete. Plus probably another $6-$8 for gravel.

Can you really be confident in getting a quality job done for someone making $10 profit? Not to mention, the poor guy is only making $10 for his time. Yikes.

signbrad

Thanks for the replies.
This is exactly what I was looking for—a spread.
I kind of miss the job cost comparisons that used to appear in Signs of the Times magazine years ago. Seems like they stopped doing it sometime during the 70s.

Obviously, there's no right or wrong price. Everybody's overhead is different. Outsourcing makes a difference. When I worked for myself, my prices went up when I was very busy (I was told once that if you stay covered up, it's a sign to raise prices). And sometimes, when I had to meet a payroll (my own), a customer got a really good deal!

My boss will probably come in at around 700 plus a 150 dollar permit.

Brad in Kansas City

Pat Whatley

Sorry, maybe I should have used "internet pricing" and said I charge $450 for installation.

•Drive to site anywhere in this town - 15 minutes each way
•Dig two 24" deep holes - 20 minutes max
•Toss gravel in hole bottom, take sign off truck, stick sign in holes, pour 40 pounds of Quikrete in each hole, tamp and level - 10 minutes
•Throw tools back in truck, rake out leftover dirt, pour water on Quikrete, take picture of sign - 5 minutes

Just over an hour total if it's only one sign.

Quikrete - 2 bags at $2.75 each = $5.50
Gravel - free (locally it's $30 a ton....a ton of gravel will fill about 1000 holes)

Sure, he's only clearing $30 an hour (minimum) but he's happy with that for a part time gig so I am too.

TXFB.INS

for us the sign & frames in at $626.

Installation would be about $210

there is no way we would charge $65 for the installation. Permits alone cost us more than that

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I would get $1800 for that installed

I don't get all my quotes, but when I do, they get a great sign and I make money....

signbrad

Thanks for all the replies.

I think we should use ddarlak's selling price and Pat Whatley's installer. :smile:

jsmoritz,
You are in Metamora, I see. I apprenticed in your part of Illinois back in the late 70s. I used to know all the sign painters in Peoria. Now most of them are gone. I lived in Chillicothe for 10 years, but I often crossed the river to your side for giant breaded tenderloins at a pub in Spring Bay.
It's what I miss most about Illinois: a pork sandwich that can feed a family of four.

bpatrick3

I guess your truck does not use gas or need insurance or maintenance.
and you are going to dig the holes by hand
and home Depot delivers the Quickrete to you free
and there happens to be a pile of gravel on the install site for your use
oh and a level and tamp are on site for your us.
MY point is that there is way more costs that go into this job than what you claim.
Sorry, maybe I should have used "internet pricing" and said I charge $450 for installation.

•Drive to site anywhere in this town - 15 minutes each way
•Dig two 24" deep holes - 20 minutes max
•Toss gravel in hole bottom, take sign off truck, stick sign in holes, pour 40 pounds of Quikrete in each hole, tamp and level - 10 minutes
•Throw tools back in truck, rake out leftover dirt, pour water on Quikrete, take picture of sign - 5 minutes

Just over an hour total if it's only one sign.

Quikrete - 2 bags at $2.75 each = $5.50
Gravel - free (locally it's $30 a ton....a ton of gravel will fill about 1000 holes)

Sure, he's only clearing $30 an hour (minimum) but he's happy with that for a part time gig so I am too.

2B

We would be about 1100 including everything

seriously, $65 for install? this isn't some belated April fools joke?