• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you use for email?

idsignsil

I was wondering what everyone is using for their email service? We currently have a POP3 from our provider that has the server. We are using Windows Live Mail on Windows 7 machines. I am thinking about switching over to the free version of Google Apps so that everything is on the cloud, and then we could get email from our phones and other computers. Not just the ones on the office. Any other suggestions or warnings about Google Apps.

J

john1

I personally use Gmail in the browser and on my iPhone. Been using it for half a decade and love it.

WildWestDesigns

I was wondering what everyone is using for their email service? We currently have a POP3 from our provider that has the server. We are using Windows Live Mail on Windows 7 machines. I am thinking about switching over to the free version of Google Apps so that everything is on the cloud, and then we could get email from our phones and other computers. Not just the ones on the office. Any other suggestions or warnings about Google Apps.

You should be able to leave your email on the cloud if that's what you wanted even if you use something like Outlook, Thunderbird, or Eudora on your computer. You just set it up to where it doesn't delete from the server when those 3rd party programs retrieve the email.

The only negative side to those programs is that when you send an email from within those programs, at least at this point, that sent email isn't being uploaded to the server and stored on the cloud, only locally on your computer.

I just use Outlook coupled with Acrobat Pro (installs a plugin into Outlook) to archive all my email with a searchable index. I would go with Thunderbird, but Acrobat Pro doesn't work the same way with Thunderbird.

This system works for me, but not for everyone. Some just like it all on the web browser.

Ditchmiester

The only negative side to those programs is that when you send an email from within those programs, at least at this point, that sent email isn't being uploaded to the server and stored on the cloud, only locally on your computer.

I Currently Have outlook on my Desktop and laptop and get my email on my iPhone. I have them set up as IMAP servers and also set to sync everything including sent messages. So no matter where I send an email from I can find it on any of my 3 devices. Oh I forgot to add my iPad in there too. It all works seamlessly too.

Last edited by a moderator:

WildWestDesigns

I have them set up as IMAP servers and also set to sync everything including sent messages. So no matter where I send an email from I can find it on any of my 3 devices.

I don't see anything on my Outlook that will allow me to sync both sent folder to the server. Nor on Thunderbird as well ( I do have it on my netbook that's running Linux, but I have that one setup not to delete from server when it downloads).

choucove

IMAP is the way to go if you can find email providers for it, it synchronizes everything much smoother than trying to hobble everything together with POP3. Gmail can be set up with IMAP I believe.

jayhawksigns

Godaddy hosts our email, but we run a server in our office that pulls the email from them and then distributes it throughout our office. Makes it easier to control all of the email from one location.

J Hill Designs

I don't see anything on my Outlook that will allow me to sync both sent folder to the server. Nor on Thunderbird as well ( I do have it on my netbook that's running Linux, but I have that one setup not to delete from server when it downloads).

you need to connect to your server using IMAP not POP3

CanuckSigns

we use Gmail in our browsers, set to check our POP3 accounts, i like that I never have to delete anything, and that I can access it very easily from home if i need to.

I had an issue a few weeks back where It marked an email as read, even though there was a new reply in the chain, so i never saw it, luckily it wasn't urgent, but i never did figure it out.

Craig Sjoquist

Likes Gmail have used since it became available both bus. & personal.

Likes the fact you get to see a whole screen page what ever you are doing, like seeing 50 email or 50 spam or a whole screen to write or read a email.

Also like the spam killer it has about 1 out of 200 get by & even less that are not spam get picked up as spam. A quick look at spam page, it's delete whole page or pick out 1or 2 that are not spam once in awhile.

Also they all sorts of extras like a internet phone, and other yic yac.

tcorn1965

we use Gmail in our browsers, set to check our POP3 accounts, i like that I never have to delete anything, and that I can access it very easily from home if i need to.

I had an issue a few weeks back where It marked an email as read, even though there was a new reply in the chain, so i never saw it, luckily it wasn't urgent, but i never did figure it out.

In Gmail you can change your inbox from classic to unread 1st. It is under settings/Inbox.

J Hill Designs

I have work comp using outlook express set to pop3 with 'leave on server for 5 days' and my phone connects to same server using IMAP so that I can access email from the past 5 days only...works well enough for me, and I get so many large emails that I dont want to keep them clogging my server up..

idsignsil

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to stick around after work and try to switch over to gmail for business. I just want to be able to see email on my iphone, or my computer at home, as well as work. As long as each has all of the emails that I have received and sent, I will be happy. Been using gmail for my personal account for years and have not had any problems.

CanuckSigns

In Gmail you can change your inbox from classic to unread 1st. It is under settings/Inbox.

That's not the issue, it never marked the mail as new when my customer replied to it, the reply was there, but it wasn't hilighted and it was mixed in with my other read mail.