• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what does FPO mean???

eye4color

I forgot to add that in most cases when an Ad Agency sent over a Quark Express or Pagemaker file on 44mb Syquest (remember those?) with some comps that had FPOs marked up on them, we'd normally get either slides or 4x5 transparencies with the job that we'd scan and crop EXACTLY like the FPO marked. So FPO also meant to the prepress guy "scan at hi res, place file in page layout program, and crop exactly like the art director has it marked on the FPO. Sigh, the "GOD". (Good Ole' Days) LOL!

Mosh

Like the customer is going to know...you guys just want to look cool.
Like this shop down the road wrote this quote "banner lettered first surface"
like you can even do a banner second surface, he just uses fancy terms to
look more professional. If he wanted to be a real professional he wouldn't
have written me all those bad checks, thus getting banned from my shop, and
me getting arrested for assult.

MichaelL

People are right that it's For Position Only but, most are relating it to digital workflow. Which is also correct but, I first learned the term back in the late 70s when you would leave a halftone window, box or a cheap xerox where the halftone would go once it was stripped in to the flat. And just write f.p.o on it. So the term has been around a long time.

Marlene

it was the first time in all my long years that I have seen this used from a designer. now I know what it means, I'll throw the FPO onto proofs so I too can look cool as Mosh said