• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What happens if you mix ram speeds?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
My home workstation has only 512 MB of DDR266 RAM that is in one double sided stick. The computer (Intel motherboard and P4 chipset) has three open slots. I have an extra stick of 512 MB labelled:

Dual Channel DDR Module
512MBx2
PC3200 400MHz

What happens if I install this extra stick in an open slot?

Techman

If the ram is compatible .. The machine will run but at the slower ram speed...
No problems .. If it is not compatible you will know.. Your machine simply will not boot.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thank you. Another question ... would one expect better performance from 1500 GB but at 400 speed or 2 GB at 266? Mostly concerned with large files in Photoshop CS.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Well it says I've got it all and it is exponentially faster at opening and modifying large files in Photoshop. I'm happy and even happier that I didn't discard my existing RAM stick.

Thanx for the input guys. :wine-smi:

Techman

it all depends on the bus speed. 400 memory will not deliver any faster than what the bus allows. So if its a 266 bux then it will transfer data at that speed.

It wil seek internally at a faster speed .. the data can only get to the CPU thru the bus..

Baz

I learned that photoshop filters are verry ram intensive. Would using high performance ram increase (or make any difference to) the speed photoshop renders filters or is that mostly dependent on processor, HD and MB speed.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think Scotty tried this once for Cpt Kurk and the Enterprise ended up getting sucked into a wormhole.