• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What happens when vinyl & laminate don't match?

GoodPeopleFlags

As far as I know, when you use mismatched vinyl and laminate (i.e. Oracal Premium vinyl with laminate for Oracal 651RA), the laminate will eventually separate and crack. Is that correct? What else can happen? How long does it take for those effects to take place? 6 months? 1 yr? 2 yrs?

No, I'm not considering doing it. I need to have the info to relay to someone else. Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All the manufacturers tell you to avoid this, but when you have quite a bit of it around the shop, you're bound to mix them up once in a while. We haven't had a thing come back for that reason, whether we're mis-matching performances or manufacturers brands.

I would however advise this.... try to not put calendared laminate over premium vinyl. You can feel the difference to help know which is which.

MindsEyeOpen

Sometimes, through trial and error, you'll find that mixing and matching will actually give you better results. It all just depends on what you're comfortable with. If it makes you feel better to use matched vinyl/lam then by all means do that. The owner at my shop likes to keep everything matched for "warranty purposes" so I do my best to comply. But, most of us here know how those "warranties" usually work out.

HulkSmash

yes as gino said. Not a problem unless your mixing cast, and intermediate.

Don't put intermediate lam on cast vinyl.

GoodPeopleFlags

Actually, I'm pretty sure I read it on this forum... definitely not from a supplier.

What will happen with intermediate lam on cast vinyl? Will it separate and/or crack as I mentioned in the original post?

Circleville Signs

Cast and Calendered vinyl have different shrink/expansion rates. Over time, this will lead to cracking, or more likely, separation at the edges.

HulkSmash

Actually, I'm pretty sure I read it on this forum... definitely not from a supplier.

What will happen with intermediate lam on cast vinyl? Will it separate and/or crack as I mentioned in the original post?

don't confuse yourself. Just use cast vinyl with cast lam, and intermediate vinyl with intermediate lam.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Depends on the difference in shrinkage rates. I've seen it come up in as little as a couple of weeks. You will not have a problem putting cast lam over calendered vinyl but suggest to never put calendered lam over cast vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your question seem a little odd. Why worry about doing it wrong ?? Don't tell someone to do it wrong and there won't be any problems. If someone has already performed this act in a unwanted manner, I would not tell them anything about how long you THINK it will last, but to remove it pronto and do it correctly. If someone is trying to skirt by and hope it will last two years..... why ?? That makes no sense. They should go to the customer, explain to them they screwed up and offer either to do it over or a really good discount when they come back, unless the end-user wants to bad-mouth them and show everyone what a lousy job they did. Better to do this now, while things can be salvaged, rather than wait for the damage to happen..... in more ways than one.