• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is a used 54" SP 540 V Roland Print cut worth

JandPVinyl

I am new to this and just getting started into the print and cut arena. I am upgrading to a printer/cutter what is a used 54" SP 540 V roland worth?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In perfect working condition an SP-300V generally goes for $4000-$5000. That's about what we get for refurbished ones we sell. The more parts we have to put into them, the more they cost. The more parts you have to put into your machine to get it working, the less it is worth. An SP-540V might fetch $1000-$2000 more than a 300. We have noticed that, as the new machine prices have plummeted in the last 2 years, it's harder and harder to sell used equipment at a price that you are going to like. They just know that they can get a new printer for around $10,000 and say why buy used when I can put a down payment on a brand new one that is faster and has a warranty? That being said, there are plenty of start ups out there who don't have the cash or credit to buy new. That's who you want to target. Craigslist is your friend.

player

Remember the cost of replacing 2 heads, caps, dampers, encoder strip, cable, cutter head assembly, chart wheels, vacuum fans, ink pump, scan motor, feed motor, servo board, main board, power supply etc... can get you up in price.

JandPVinyl

The dealer says everything that ink has touched has been replaced including the print heads. I am getting 2 sets of ink and 1 54" roll of glossy calendered vinyl for 8500 this includes a 90 day warranty and delivery install and training. give me your honest thoughts? is this a rip off and if so any recommendations on where I can get one?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just had a customer the other day say to me........ I don't care about the quality or longevity of the sign, I'm just interested in a low price.

That's what you're doing.

Think about what little a new one will cost you and do your own math. Only you know what you can afford.

player

I don't think it's a rip off, but for $8500 I would go new. I would get a dedicated printer and a separate cutter.

player

The SP540V will show the total hours used as well as the shot count on the heads. Go to the dealer and get them to show you these numbers. Don't let them tell you, actually see it. This will give you an idea of how much action it has seen, and how new the heads are.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Get a used plotter off craigslist, there's always some on there & buy a new machine. New Epsons can be had for under $10,000 & latex for only a couple thousand more.
Remember you're also going to have to invest in a laminator soon.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you that busy, that you're adding a second printer/cutter...... or you've already bought this machine ?? Your profile indicates you already have this machine, or one like it.

JandPVinyl

I have not purchased this machine yet, I am upgrading to a printer cutter in order to do wraps and banners and I am thinking it would be a lot more work and room for error by just buying a printer and then cutting on the one I have, so after I get a printer cutter up and running I would likely sell my zen cut. I have another thread open as well about the laminator. It's a emblem 55.5" 140C laminator new. I appreciate the feedback guys!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Well, you wont be using the cutter feature of a printer to do wraps OR banners, so if that is your primary need for a p/c printer I would think again.
Depending on one machine for both printing and cutting makes it a pain; if you're in the middle of a wrap print (which will take ALL day or longer on that machine) you cannot cut anything at all until it is finished.
And vice versa; if you're running a large plot job you're gonna have to wait to print.

ANY graphic that goes outdoors - and really anything printed at all, unless you or your customers are really cheap - needs to be laminated. So, you're going to be taking it off of the machine and laminating it, then it could go on to another machine to be cut, freeing up the printer for the next job instead of keeping it tied up.

Also, when I had an SP540v about 10 years ago it was never that great at registration, especially on large pieces or high quantity gang-ups.

splizaat

We were looking at a used VS540 machine for 9k a year ago and went for a new one....that SP is a dinosaur for only 500 less. 7k, if the heads are good.

JandPVinyl

I just got the history from the machine i am looking at. What are your thoughts on this history report? is this alot of use? if so, where can i find other used machines that could be a bang for the $? I appreciate all the help guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20151214_112232308.jpg
    IMG_20151214_112232308.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20151214_112226689.jpg
    IMG_20151214_112226689.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 110

strypguy

I bought my SP540V for 6K a few months ago in excellent working condition. I contacted my printer service tech and they found it for me and checked it out before I bought it. John

player

I think 3,500 hours is way too many. You should look for a newer model with under 500 hours. They are still very cheap. I also agree about getting a separate cutter. The registration of the print cut machine won't be as accurate as a separate quality cutter.