• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What is Competitive Pay for Various Positions

Christian @ 2CT Media

A little background, we are growing really fast and even though we are adding and upgrading equipment, we need successful people to help continue the trend.
We are currently working to add benefits (Health, 401K, etc) but with the markets changing and a lot more people going freelance, Im struggling to figure out what is competitive pay for certain positions. So id like to see what other shops and other employees think is competitive in their markets?

We are specifically looking at hiring:
A Vinyl/Sign/Wrap Installer
A Designer either Creative or Production

We have also considered hiring a Production Manager/Operator to aid in output.

We know all markets are different, it seems like our market is barren and we either have to entice people to switch to us or entice people to move here to get good people.

FatCat

First, I believe pay is always designated by experience, workmanship and attitude - not necessarily just the position or assigned tasks that person does.

For our area, a "decent" vinyl installer with 2-3 years experience will fetch $12 - $18/hr on the low end, maybe $20-$25/hr + if they are really good and can wrap a car by themselves and handle other outside vinyl installs (frosted glass, window graphics, etc.) Somebody on an "expert" level usually has already figured out they can make more on their own vs. working for someone and will simply be a hired gun selling their services by the square foot.

As far as a designer, again, it depends on the skill set and attitude. I would say $15/hr - $20/hr is fair if they can design most vinyl sign projects and simple logos. A designer needing to understand 3-D applications for routing and/or electrical signs would be paid higher. A really good designer who knows their stuff, again, will usually be working on their own, or work for a very high end company or design firm that will pay them handsomely for their knowledge.

For a really good production manager, (one that the owner can step away from their shop and rest easy that things will continue on as if they were there) I would think $50k - $60k/yr would be a basic guideline for most small to mid-sized shops doing $500k - $1million/year, obviously more if the sales are considerably higher.

I think in the end it all boils down to what you want to pay for - you want the Ford Focus or the Cadillac? LOL

CL Visual

I'm sure this all varies by region as well. Our lead installer makes about $40 an hour. Helper/jr mechanic makes $15 an hour. Production assistant who does all the laminating, trimming, contour cutting, weeding, masking, poster mounting, banners, grommets, etc makes $14 an hour but is due for a sizeable raise soon. He is a design graduate so I'll start him on setting up all files, cropping, etc for wraps and he will eventually bump to about $20 an hour.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Installers around here make about $15-$20 an hour depending on experience. If they can wrap vehicles as well, they can get paid quite a bit more. Graphic designers make around $35k-$50k depending on experience, if they only do prepress, probably around $35k-$40k and they'll most likely have other responsibilities (running printers or finishing work, for instance). A production manager will get around $50k to start if they're not coming from the industry. If they're coming from the industry and can also fill in running printers, doing finishing work, or prepress, they're going to be able to negotiate for a little more money.

This is all assuming the candidates know the value of their labor and know what to ask for. A lot of time people will come in without any idea what they want to make and wait for us to throw a number at them.

Most places around here also offer benefits, but a few places don't. Needless to say, they don't have the cream of the crop working for them.

BUCKY

We are starting no experience candidates at $19.00 and up. I know that sounds high but it is very difficult these days to find anyone who is even willing to stand and work for 8 hours a day
doing production in our area. The application pool is very minimal for this industry. We advertise on over 10 job sites and receive about 2 applicants in 8 weeks time. We offer
full benefits, 401k, flexible hours, vacation upon starting, the whole works.
As for designers, that is a flooded pool. Following market demand we consider that a lower pay scale then wrap and production. Applicants come in by the 100's when looking specifically
for a graphics designer. We have asked them in interviews if they would mind working production as well, and they just say "no" and walk out of the interview basically.
Things have changed folks! This is why we are always an advocate pushing this industry pricing higher to aid the employee costs.
I know this is always a touchy subject as this has been discussed many times but that is our main focus, not huge profits.

Christian @ 2CT Media

These are all good insights, we are really trying to wrap our heads around the installer problem we have. It seems like a big struggle here in Phx especially. We want to attract and retain great people to continue our success.

I was poking around my market looking at going rates and it appears what I was going to offer would be significantly better than most other offers on the market currently.

AKwrapguy

Up here Installer are anywhere from $17-$25 an hour. Production generally $20-$25 and a manager is $25-$30 an hour. Also most places up here offer at least medical, the good ones offer medical, dental and vision. A few also offer profit sharing.

Last edited:

ikarasu

You guys make me want to move to america... :eek:

Graphics design is $20-25 here. Production is around $15... Vinyl wrap around $20, printer operators around $17-20... Etc.

Printer operators and vinyl wrappers shift to doing other end work when they're not busy also.

Living in Vancouver... One of the most expensive cities in the world. I've seen adds posted by other companies and their pay is lower also, so ours may not be the higher end, but it's likely median end .