• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is going on...is everyone so busy?

gnubler

I had a burst of business in March/April for construction signs and vehicle lettering. Then that business got quiet, I assume because they're all overbooked with work building houses and don't need no stinkin' signs. I'm also in one of the hot zones where the golden horde is coming in droves and there's a huge housing shortage.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Busy here as well Stacey K. I think we're in the same state/region. I've never seen it like this really. Hiring some help, even part time, would help ease up on the stress. We're a 4 person shop and I was able to hire a couple of months ago and it's definitely helped me with all of the smaller tasks that I would normally need to do on the weekends or early morning/late night. Still, we could use more help. If I can find a way to implement it properly without having it add more stress I will. Maybe someone to manage and respond to all of the emails, calls, texts and social media just so they don't fall between the cracks. My advice would be, take the extra work if it's good. It could turn into a very great and long term customer. Also, if you're feeling the burnout, take a long weekend (3-4 days) off and enjoy it! There's no such thing as a week or two off for a small business owner. Lol! Good luck!
Yes, I do have a high schooler hired for some hours this summer to do just as you suggested. I am also having him cut the grass at the shop and a few other random things. I'll see how that goes and maybe hire someone more permanently after summer.

Funny you mention vacation, we are going to Florida June 7 - should I be? Probably not but I am. It got cancelled twice because of Covid and now my oldest is in college so he is missing out on his high school graduation vacation. I'm sure I'll miss out on some work but I have several jobs scheduled for when I get back and more coming every day so it is what it is. I'll still answer the phone and do emails daily. Most of the people that walk in are looking for small stuff so I'm not overly concerned. And we only live once!

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
We have more work than we can handle here, but taking it in and getting it done while it's here.
We have done pretty good with those Site Surveys and installs in the past. Just did one last week and made pretty good money on it. Basically Nothing in the job except labor:
Just done the Site Survey and install while out installing other signs.
Those companies that have contacted us usually have a preset amount of what they will pay and you can take it or leave it.
Only turned down a few of them because they threw out a number that wasn't enough to make it worthwhile.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahaa...... I've had companies call about doing site surveys for them and what they wanna offer is almost never near enough to get me to go out, let alone go up and measure things and make drawings. Had one this spring said, we'll pay ya $150. Can ya have it by tomorrow ?? I said, I don't even do my own for that cheap. Guy says, Okay..... how 'bout $175 ?? Yeah, now yer getting tempting......................

unclebun

Hahaa...... I've had companies call about doing site surveys for them and what they wanna offer is almost never near enough to get me to go out, let alone go up and measure things and make drawings. Had one this spring said, we'll pay ya $150. Can ya have it by tomorrow ?? I said, I don't even do my own for that cheap. Guy says, Okay..... how 'bout $175 ?? Yeah, now yer getting tempting......................
Given the current situation, I've been surprised how willing these companies have been to increase the payment. I had one offer $250 to put up 10 strings of pennant streamers from a light pole to the facade of a building, plus put 4 big feather flags on the roof, and hang a Grand Opening banner, and then go back and take it all down a month later for another $250. I told them we don't even take the lift out for less than $600 (it was also 45 miles away) a job, and we'd need $1400 plus another $800 for putting window wraps they supplied across the whole storefront. They approved it no questions asked.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, just stand your ground. If you're not gonna get paid well, ya might as well be doing something ya like for free........................

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I let the companies tell me how much their survey is for... most are around $250-$350 for a survey requiring a bucket. Some hi-rise signs can be higher and if I have to get someone to drive from an hour or two away that will add to the cost. Lowest I paid was $120-$150 but that is rare. Highest was $650 for a hi-rise 1.5 hours away from the company doing it.... it was out in the middle of a desert

Eforcer

I'm now getting emails from other sign companies asking me to install signs for them. I had an email today from a nationwide company looking for an installer...I said no, I'm too busy with my own installs! I'm getting calls and emails from people in other cities for signs. The shop down the road from me is sending people to me. I'm already booked out a few weeks and can't keep up with the amount of jobs I already have. Most of them don't even ask for an estimate they just want it done.

Is everyone experiencing this? I'm guessing part of it is shops don't have enough help. Yes, I raised my prices, I don't think that's the issue. I'm a little higher than most in the area on vehicles and have lost a few jobs in the past because of it.
Aside from being very busy with signs, we also have an enormous call for T-Shirts and in the last 2 weeks we have been approached by three different brokers. I don't and will never do contract work. But business is kicking and I also don't lower my prices just to appease someone.

So enjoy it!

T Nichols

Yes, I do have a high schooler hired for some hours this summer to do just as you suggested. I am also having him cut the grass at the shop and a few other random things. I'll see how that goes and maybe hire someone more permanently after summer.

Funny you mention vacation, we are going to Florida June 7 - should I be? Probably not but I am. It got cancelled twice because of Covid and now my oldest is in college so he is missing out on his high school graduation vacation. I'm sure I'll miss out on some work but I have several jobs scheduled for when I get back and more coming every day so it is what it is. I'll still answer the phone and do emails daily. Most of the people that walk in are looking for small stuff so I'm not overly concerned. And we only live once!
Come to Florida! Just spent the weekend at Ormond Beach and St Augustine. Did some work at Universal last week (packing people in like cattle now).

Stacey K

I like making signs
Come to Florida! Just spent the weekend at Ormond Beach and St Augustine. Did some work at Universal last week (packing people in like cattle now).
Just got back Sunday from 3 days in Orlando and 4 in Fort Myers! Loved it! We were one of the cattle last Tuesday...geesh...that was ridiculous! Got on most of the rides. I love Florida, it's one of my favorite states!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Just got back Sunday from 3 days in Orlando and 4 in Fort Myers! Loved it! We were one of the cattle last Tuesday...geesh...that was ridiculous! Got on most of the rides. I love Florida, it's one of my favorite states!
I was in Ft. Myers two weekends ago. I got family down there. It's nice this time of year because traffic is not bad during the summer.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I was in Ft. Myers two weekends ago. I got family down there. It's nice this time of year because traffic is not bad during the summer.
Exactly! And there were very few people at the condo complex, nobody in the pools, nobody playing pickle ball, had the place basically to ourselves. I enjoyed it MUCH better than peak season. Last time we went I just wanted to sit by the pool and read my book...NOPE NEVER HAPPENED. Going to the pool was like a meet and greet, every old person had to stop and talk to me LOL Got most of my book read this time!

Andy D

Most of my customers are contractors, engineers & architects... For whatever reason, most say they were never busier during covid.
Now though, with the rising lumber cost and shortages, they're starting to slow down.