• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant What is going on with FedEx?

mkmie

Lost Soul
Is it just my area or is FedEx just dropping the ball on ground delivery? Shipped a small banner to Indy from Chgo area Weds 5/20 and it still hasn't arrived 5/26. Keep getting an exception notification but no real explanation. "It's on the truck for delivery."

Goatshaver

It's happening with UPS as well. 2 weeks in a row I've had material orders that get an "exception" and ended up having to drive to the sorting facility to pick them up and it happened again on my last shipment I was supposed to get last week.

flyplainsdrifta

fed ex's model of having contractors handling ground packages seems to be the main issue. but since this thing started theyve been at least 5 to 10 days behind on all packages going ground. express seems to be right on sched. ups, depending on the shipping also seems behind 3 to 8 days atm. for perspective, all of my drivers have been saying this is 5x worse then xmas for volume. so yeah.

rossmosh

Everyone is overloaded. Huge volume and they're down man power.

FedEx is especially vulnerable because their routes are privately owned. A sharp owner can compensate and keep their routes somewhat on schedule. Weak owners are going to get destroyed by bad drivers and a lack of vehicles.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We got a letter from FedEx basically saying, "We're super busy and we can no longer guarantee any service until further notice."

Stacey K

I like making signs
Same here! Shipping from Michigan to Wisconsin is usually next day. Sometimes they send my package to Tennessee and it adds a day. "Out on the truck for delivery" - same message here

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
It's because of the Virus crap! Remember, everyone is staying home. So, everyone orders online! That goes for groceries and everything else that exists.
USPS is not impressed with Fed-Ex's service either. UPS has always been busy, and Mr. almost a Trillionaire has almost everything from Amazon on a UPS Truck, regular freight trucks to Prime distribution centers and on and on it goes.
As a sub note: No one will have to worry about me sending anything with Fed-Ex. One: I have seen innumerable trucks of theirs updown side and downside up on the interstates so many times, why anyone ships with them makes me wonder, Two: I tried sending two separate signs to Ohio from Texas.
Both were horribly damaged. Crated too! They did pay for the damage for one, and simply gave me the price I charged for the second one.
I ended up driving one of them to Ohio, and it was cheaper and a bit quicker.
So, until this Covid Crap ends, I would just chill and tell your customers what might happen during this "Crisis" (Rolling my eyes)

binki

Around here deliveries to commercial and retail locations were not being done because of stay at home orders. Maybe adding delivery instructions such as 'We are open. Please delivery as you normally would.' will help.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Around here deliveries to commercial and retail locations were not being done because of stay at home orders. Maybe adding delivery instructions such as 'We are open. Please delivery as you normally would.' will help.
Aren't everyone's stay at home order over with?

Texas is almost in full swing and has been for a while. I'm in Mississippi today and its more restrictive here but I'm still able to eat in restaurant.

rjssigns

Delayed delivery...YAY!!!! Today I ordered diamond cup wheels for grinding concrete.

See, there's a silver lining in everything.:)

unclebun

For our FedEx Ground delivery I had a package delayed more than a week, and it was at the depot and every day tracking said it was on truck for delivery, but at about 3 in the afternoon it would change to an exception and no delivery attempt made, delivery tomorrow. I called and the people at the 800 number (who are not at our delivery depot) said it was because of COVID-19 staffing issues. However the next business day it was finally delivered, and when I asked the driver if they were having problems with staffing or if they were overwhelmed with packages because of COVID-19, he laughed and said, no, they were fully staffed, nobody was sick, and their package volume was down. The only problem was that his truck, which is the only one that delivers in our town 50 miles away from the depot, was broken down. He normally drives a 24' box truck. But the first day it broke down, they gave him a 14' box truck, and he had to load it himself from the broken truck. Obviously he had to leave a lot of packages behind in the broken truck. But the people at the depot, instead of unloading the broken truck and getting it fixed, just loaded it again for the next day. So each day he was only able to get the new packages onto the new truck and deliver them, while mine, along with the others at the front of the truck were left behind. He said after I called they dug through and found my package and put it where he could take it. Another week went by before we had another FedEx Ground package, and this time he was driving a rental truck.

So in my case, the problem was stupidity combined with cheapness in not getting the problem of a broken truck dealt with.

UPS, on the other hand, has been delivering ground packages two hours earlier than normal because their volumes have been down so much.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I haven't noticed anything wrong with our deliveries. Our sort facility is in Hutchins and everything going in and out has been OK. Just sent something today so we'll see.

Stacey K

I like making signs

Texas is almost in full swing and has been for a while. I'm in Mississippi today and its more restrictive here but I'm still able to eat in restaurant.
Wisconsin is open...went for a drive Sunday - campsites were packed, bars and restaurants have a few tables blocked off. Our city park is open but the bathrooms are locked which makes it no fun for watching horseshoe league and having a beer LOL Many people at the local flower nursery wear masks but packed in like sardines. Waiting line of 15 people at Home Depot Saturday. Quite a few masked people at the grocery stores also.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Everyone was wearing masks a few weeks ago but very few now. Roads are full of people again.. I was in a traffic jam at 9pm last night coming home to Dallas... The shutdown was nice when it lasted

MI Bearcat

No. Here in Michigan the stay at home order was extended to June 12. Our governor has gone off the rails. She is allowing some businesses to open up but restaurants, bars, salons, etc. all still closed and people still supposed to stay at home.