• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best set up for Graphtec?

EndlessOptions

Should I be using Serial cable Parallel cable or USB for a Graphtec FC5100-75. I am trying to do some contour cutting with a USB set up and it seems that my computer and cutter don't always communicate well. What have you found to be the best?

Pro Image

Ive never had any problem using a serial cable on my ce-1000..........I would think it would work very well with a fc5100.............

SSS_Tech

Most people prefer USB setups due to the fact that both serial & parrallel are fading out. I would have to agree with Techman, using serial will give the cutter the ability to relay information back to the software, like obtaining the media setup from the cutter (POLL SIZE - is the term used in most softwares) is important to alot of users.

NBaessler

Two way communication can be had with USB as well but it depends upon whether the software you are using. What software are you using?

USB is just another form of serial port. Both, including parallel, offer bi-directional communication, but serial/usb is always faster - end results,though, are the same.

mark in tx

USB is 2 way, the advantages are faster speed, longer cable lengths, and more than 1 device can communicate to the computer at 1 time with a USB hub.

What problems are you having that lead you to believe the computer and plotter are not communicating?

EndlessOptions

The problem is that when I am contour cutting with Flexi the cutter reads all 3 of the marks but then won't cut, it never processes the last command. I accidentally pulled the USB cable out when I was waiting to see if it would process the last command and as soon as the cable came out it sent the pop up box. That made me think it is a communication problem, I know that USB does do 2 way communication but the drivers are different and I have heard that sometimes there is a problem communicating because of the USB drivers with windows XP. I am going to order the serial cable for the Graphtec in the mean time I am contour cutting with the generic marks and the laser bombsite and it works good.