• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best software to use with the Graphtec FC3100-60

chadk574

I just purchased a Graphtec FC3100-60. Now I am wondering wjat would be the best software to use. I seen that someone is selling a Mac G4 with Adobe Illustrator 9.0 pre installed. Will the Cutter I bought be compatible with Mac? And will I be able to use Adobe Illustrator to cut?

sinetist

Yes it will work from a mac, but you'll need a "bridge" program/plug-in to cut from Illustrator. The cutter probably came with one called Cutting Master 2. Did it? It should also have come with the appropriate cables. While Cutting Master 2 does let you cut from Illustrator that's all it does. Absolutely no bells and whistles with it.

GP

I have a legal copy of LXi Master for windows (discs and key), if you want to go the PC route. I bought it with my package from Sign Warehouse and never needed it.

As soon as I dig it up, I will photograph and put in the new auction/classifieds area.

Good luck,

GP

Liquid GraphX

I just purchased a Graphtec FC3100-60. Now I am wondering wjat would be the best software to use. I seen that someone is selling a Mac G4 with Adobe Illustrator 9.0 pre installed. Will the Cutter I bought be compatible with Mac? And will I be able to use Adobe Illustrator to cut?

It would depend on what you are comfortable using. I started on SignLab and then learned Corel Draw, Illistrator and Photoshop. I would have to say if you just want to design and cut then SignLab or Flexi will work great.

As far as computers go I would recommend PC buts that's my personal choice. Either format will work with the cutter.:rock-n-roll:

Bill Modzel

Ok, lets throw in some first hand information. Right now I'm running an older G4, OS 10, and Illustrator 10. Cutting Master cuts directly from Illy. It's a plug in, not a "bridge" application, and it works just fine. I ran it on OS 9 on a G4 also. I am also running it on my MacPro, OS 10.5.8 and Illy CS3.
On the G4 you will need a serial to USB converter though.

On the newer Macs it runs fine as straight USB connection. In fact, I have both my workstations connected to my Graphtec fc7000-100 at the same time and can cut directly from either one without changing a thing.

chadk574

Thanks Bill. That helps a lot. I figured right now I can't afford software for it and saw a mac with Adobe Illustrator 9 on it. So I think I may try to buy the mac. I saw the converter for less than $5.00 on Amazon. I do prefer windows. But I am familiar with Mac also.

Bill Modzel

Just don't pay too much for that Mac. It's an old one with OS 9 on it and there are no new applications available for it anymore unless you upgrade to an early version of OS X.
I bought two packed Dual 1gig processer G4's for $100 last summer. I have to run Illy v10 for printing on my Edge with MacImprint so that's the only reason I have that old of a Mac in here right now.

Os 9 is OLD and not nearly as stable as X is.

Rodi

100 bux for a G4 is ok and even better if it has illustrator, but don't forget, you won't have a copy of the disk, so you will need to make a copy on CD of the program and the system folder.

Sinetist he may be willing to let go his version of flexi 4.x for mac… he almost sold it to me, and I almost did buy, price was good, but something honestly dropped in my lap (LXI Master Plus for windows 8.0) and I could not refuse.

sinetist

That's right, I have a legal FlexiLetter program for an older mac running OS 9. It would be far better than Illustrator 9 for vinyl cutting. If the OP wants to get the older mac and have a real sign making program for it he could PM me.

chadk574

So if I go with the mac with adobe Illustrator 9.0 I will need to get a plugin? Where do I get that and will it cost anything?

sinetist

the plugin is a sort of software extension you install/copy into the plugins folder in the Illustrator program.