• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the real world benefits of the OPUS-CAM

bigben

So I'm considering the idea to upgrade my summa D160R to a S2T class. I'm wondering if I should take the opus-cam or not. My rep told me it has a better reading, but what that mean in the real world? Does it really have a benefits?

Oh! and I'm considering the take-up also for longer runs. Does anyone have feedbacks about it?

Thanks.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
The OPOS Cam has faster mark recognition compared to the OPOS X sensor(1 second per mark versus 4-5 seconds with the sensor) and is able to detect registration marks more consistently on materials with high reflectivity or mirrored finish. The OPOS Cam models do need to be connected via USB because the USB connection powers the camera whereas with the OPOS X model you would be able to connect the cutter via USB or a network connection. Other than that the S2 models are pretty much the same.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112(office)
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

bigben

The OPOS Cam has faster mark recognition compared to the OPOS X sensor(1 second per mark versus 4-5 seconds with the sensor) and is able to detect registration marks more consistently on materials with high reflectivity or mirrored finish. The OPOS Cam models do need to be connected via USB because the USB connection powers the camera whereas with the OPOS X model you would be able to connect the cutter via USB or a network connection. Other than that the S2 models are pretty much the same.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

Thanks Phil! If I have a longer usb cable, does it still work? My current cable is around 20ft and have a ''booster/repeater'' in the middle.

Also, I've tried to found informations and video about the take-up. Can you tell me more about this option?

Thanks.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
The cutter comes with a 15' USB cable so 20' with a booster/repeater should be fine. I wouldn't go much longer than that, though, to avoid any communication issues sending files to the machine. Another thing to note is that you have to run the Camera Control software in the background with the OPOS Cam machines regardless of the cutting software you are using so keep that in mind. That software requires Windows too so if you are running Mac OS you wouldn't be able to use the OPOS Cam machine.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We have the regular model without the opos cam and it works fine. Really handy that it doesn’t need to be connected to the PC via USB just due to everything else needing connected to that one poor PC.

Mark detection is a little meh sometimes. When printing on the Colorado we tend to set up one sheet then use the layout copies to set the amount of sheets, so every sheet has the same barcode. Every now and then it’ll freeze or fail to read a barcode (even after numerous attempts) so we need to cut that sheet off then continue with the roll. (Usually just flip the sheet and it works)

Not sure if that’s a sensor issue or just because ours is a dud. I can’t see it being a file issue due to all the sheets using the same barcode. Our summa is a bit of a PITA though. Just had to send some files and prints over to America so I might be phils problem soon too lol

Other than the few (apparently niche) problems we get with the cutter, when it runs it’s a beast. Cuts are very consistent and it’s definitely quick enough.

One thing about the cable though, ours came with a 10m USB cable and we did have some data issues, when doing long panel jobs it would only get about 3-4 panels in before forgetting where it is/freezing. Since we switched to Ethernet we haven’t had that particular problem.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Camera is far faster and more accurate. We move from the standard S2 to the Cam model after 5 years of operation and we will never go back. The Camera is far and away better on all materials.

ProColorGraphics

I have an old T140 with the standard OPOP-X and a Summa F with the OPOS-CAM. Then OPOS-CAM is so much nicer!!! One example, if you have a mark get messed up, the CAM will still read it or you can manually position it. With the standard setup, you can't. It can get scan the marks on odd ball material better too. If I get another roll cutter, it will have the OPOS-CAM for sure!

bigben

The cutter comes with a 15' USB cable so 20' with a booster/repeater should be fine. I wouldn't go much longer than that, though, to avoid any communication issues sending files to the machine. Another thing to note is that you have to run the Camera Control software in the background with the OPOS Cam machines regardless of the cutting software you are using so keep that in mind. That software requires Windows too so if you are running Mac OS you wouldn't be able to use the OPOS Cam machine.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Good thing you've mentioned the Mac OS. I use Caldera that run on a Mac. So I guess I have to forget this option?