• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is your design/proofing procedure?

gnubler

What steps do you follow during the design and mockup stage for a sign being produced from scratch? I need some tips to make it easier for both me and customers to visualize the finished product.

For the customer who doesn't know what they want or doesn't specify styles/materials, I create the best/most realistic mockup I can and impose it on an image of their building or wall where the sign will be installed, and this is typically emailed to them. I also show them pictures of other signs that look similar to what I'm proposing. On some bigger jobs I've provided material and color samples before actual production begins so they can see something in real life first.

On bigger jobs with no direction I sometimes find myself stuck or overwhelmed with options. Signmaker's block? What steps do you take to figure out what your customer wants, and how do you present the concept to them? Do you show them pictures of other signs, swatches/material samples, etc? What do your proofs look like? I realize this varies a lot depending on the type of sign.

Johnny Best

I try to give the customer a “new and one of a kind” sign. Like when you buy a car you pick one that fits your personality. Never show them other signs swatches or color samples. I thought you were complaining about working long hours, cut down on your sales pitch antics.

Z SIGNS

If it's a simple and easy for you routine job like replacing something existing, or put a sticker on a cab door, make in the ground lolli pop etc.
Ya send em a sketch with the terms. Ask for a reply yes or no.
If they say yes but.. Yes but cost more.
On bigger jobs it's different. They maybe looking for prices but what they really need is a sign designer/consultant that can propose and deliver the best solution.
Yes you have to do sketches and how much time you spend on that is a gamble. The coolest presentation usually wins.
Lately we have been playing with this fun stuff.

Signscorp

We send 2D proofs, and once sentence quote with the material, size and installation method. If they don't ask for a specific material I'll recommend what they should go with, and say it pretty definitively, not give them a bunch of options.

For bigger overhead signs we'll mock it up on the building as well.

I find lots of descriptive words help in person to get them visualizing it, but don't do much for you over email.

Scotchbrite

No comment
When they have no idea what they want, we ask them to drive around and look for types of signs that appeal to them. We also refer them to a gallery page on our website.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You need to have some direction upfront in order to create a design in your own head, let alone convey something to them along with some pricing structure. Whether someone is buying a vehicle, a meal or whatever, you need some preliminary input. Otherwise, tell them to come back after they've wasted some other person's time to be their gopher.

You also need to take the bull by the horns and steer them into a direction in which you can do something for them without asking every step of the way on s101 how to do or make something.

I don't know if it was you or someone else, but this very subject was just discussed recently about how to pull teeth from someone to get this very information. You only need about 3, 4, maybe 5 beginning questions. If you can't gather enough information, then you need to work on your presentation skills, your phone skills or just your general knowledge skills. If you're a lousy salesperson, then hire someone who can do it.

People are coming to you to buy a sign, not tell you exactly what they want. The don't know the various substrates, products, procedures and installation permitting and digging codes. That's all your job, so do it. They know their name, about what it is gonna say and what colors they like. Those things will not produce a sign.

Scotchbrite

No comment
One of our first questions is if they have checked with their landlord to see if there's a sign criteria in their lease. Many times we know there is, but they have no clue it was in their lease until you point it out.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I mock up the sign based on what they want. I usually do it right in front of them. I ask them for photos of where it will be placed so they can see what it will look like.
Landlord issues, city permits: that's all on them. I will help guide them through the process, and I will sign the city permit forms (it asks for signature of the sign company on one of the cities we service in the area). If my signature is going on something, I will keep a copy of that form and attach it to the work order.
KEEP IT SIMPLE.

gnubler

Good feedback, thanks all. Especially Gino's last paragraph and Geneva's last word: SIMPLE. I do not give customers tons of options, but I do ask about material preferences and colors.

Bidding on one now where the customer requested "dark wood" for a lobby directory going in an upscale building. In cases like this I want to be sure the end product is going to tie in with the existing interior.

Don't know if I have the talent or time to get into 3D mockup software. Most of my signs are flat panel wall signs, so a Photoshop mockup is fine. Sounds like this is what others are doing too. No way do I design anything while the customer is sitting with me, that's been a nightmare, every time. Everything's exchanged via email or sometimes printed hard copy.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think sometimes customers can be lazy and they don't understand the design process. If you tell them the more information we discuss upfront, the less it will cost you because you have to charge for all the designs, this often gets them talking.

I almost always tell them what material I will use vs. letting them choose, they have no clue.

For logos, almost everyone has looked online or tried to design something or has a couple color ideas. Get them to send you screenshots of things they like...that way you at least have a "look" to go for. If they are really stuck and have zero clue I tell them to think about it and sometimes tell them to just google logos and see what style jumps out, simple and clean, distressed, etc. For banners and signs it's important to get the basics then I often just make things up like bullet points or a catch phrase. I have a lot of customers with my last second catch phrase on their trucks LOL People like the bullet points too they just make a couple changes and we run with it.