• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What kind of vinyl for heavy machinery decals and WHERE do I buy it??

Dabistry

What kind of vinyl for heavy machinery decals and WHERE do I buy it??
Any suggestions would be helpful. very new to the industry

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you printing on it or die-cutting it ?? Lamination will be of more importance.

petepaz

is this for new machinery or used? probably want to use a high-tack vinyl and definitely use a laminate. might want to look in to a thicker lam like they recommend for helmet decals or for atv decals
check with fellers

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
is this for new machinery or used? probably want to use a high-tack vinyl and definitely use a laminate. might want to look in to a thicker lam like they recommend for helmet decals or for atv decals
check with fellers
Yeah something like Arlon DPF8000 but most other vinyl brands have something equivalent.

Adam.Foster

What kind of vinyl for heavy machinery decals and WHERE do I buy it??
Any suggestions would be helpful. very new to the industry
Gerber Permagrip vinyl is perfect for that application and used by many construction and farm equipment manufacturers. It can be purchased from Grimco.com

Dabistry

Are you printing on it or die-cutting it ?? Lamination will be of more importance.
I am printing on it and cutting it. For, lets say a CAT d6 dozer is one I'm looking to make decals for. For a used D6 that's being repainted.

Dabistry

Used machinery being refurbished and painted. Ok, thank you, I'll look into it.
check with fellers

ikarasu

I never understood the thought process of using a high tac, or a thick overlam on heavy duty machinery.

When you have a 5000 LB machine brush up against a rock, or building, or anything else really... It doesnt matter if you laminate the thing with polycarb, its going to scratch and get roughed up - No matter what you put on it. So long as the material you use sticks fine, you should be ok.

We use IJ40 / 8508, or if its a machine they want graphics on for 7+ Years... Vehicle grade. Most of the contractors around here keep their branding on for 2-3 years, pay us to remove it...then they re-sell it and buy a new machine.

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
I am printing on it and cutting it. For, lets say a CAT d6 dozer is one I'm looking to make decals for. For a used D6 that's being repainted.
I have done a Ton of re-conditioned heavy equipment for the Navy over the past decade. When I have recreated the various decals and branding stickers after the repaints, I have used a combo of permanent adhesive calendared film like IJ35C but laminated with a cast gloss overlaminate more intended for wrap films and for single color vinyl, 751 Oracal, usually has been White or Black.

Just make sure sure to wait a full 2 weeks after the resprays on the equipment for any paint outgassing before any application or you will be looking at a real mess a few months later.

petepaz

I never understood the thought process of using a high tac, or a thick overlam on heavy duty machinery.

When you have a 5000 LB machine brush up against a rock, or building, or anything else really... It doesnt matter if you laminate the thing with polycarb, its going to scratch and get roughed up - No matter what you put on it. So long as the material you use sticks fine, you should be ok.

We use IJ40 / 8508, or if its a machine they want graphics on for 7+ Years... Vehicle grade. Most of the contractors around here keep their branding on for 2-3 years, pay us to remove it...then they re-sell it and buy a new machine.
we use a high tack for situations like this because the surface can be greasy or get greasy also they can have chipped paint or rough surfaces. as far as the laminate the material does hold up better with the laminate. no doubt it still gets banged up but it will last a little longer with lam than without. one of our customers is a building supply co and we use a high tack with gloss lam on the bulkheads of the trucks and before we used a standard vinyl with no lam because it was cheaper per customer request but the life span of with lam and without lam can be as much as a year longer life (sometimes longer)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

Heavier laminate is easier to install all those small decals. The heavier laminates hold up better on high touch areas. Most decent operator's don't play bumper cars with their machines but they do run against brush and things like that.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have done a Ton of re-conditioned heavy equipment for the Navy over the past decade. When I have recreated the various decals and branding stickers after the repaints, I have used a combo of permanent adhesive calendared film like IJ35C but laminated with a cast gloss overlaminate more intended for wrap films and for single color vinyl, 751 Oracal, usually has been White or Black.

Just make sure sure to wait a full 2 weeks after the resprays on the equipment for any paint outgassing before any application or you will be looking at a real mess a few months later.
You don't have to wait to put on the decals. Next day is adequate, do you think that the factory waits when they roll off the line? Like they have a 2 week outgas staging area of completed machines.

unclebun

You don't need anything special. Just high quality vinyl like you'd use for any vehicle lettering. Even if it's used, and especially if it's just been repainted.

We've been doing this 30 years and have not seen a need for anything special.