• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What lamination to use on printed reflective?

TopFliteGraphics

I have some street signs I need to make for a builder client that require printed reflective material. Also, the specifications require any digitally printed material to have lamination. The only lamination material that I see specified anywhere is Oralite 5095 but I am having difficulty sourcing it locally.

What materials do you guys recommend for this application?

TopFliteGraphics

Street signs should be screen printed, not digitally printed on a machine. Then, they'll last 8 or 10 years.
The bid package I got said if digitally printed, then lamination must be applied. I am probably overthinking it since we are only talking about a few signs but I want to make sure I provide the best possible product to my customer.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
Street signs should be screen printed, not digitally printed on a machine. Then, they'll last 8 or 10 years.
The Avery/Mutoh printers on Avery reflective Omni are rated for 18 years, their lower reflective is 7-8 IIRC. The 3M HP latex machines are at 10 with Diamond Grade. Printing traffic reflective on and HP that doesn't allow you to raise the carriage sucks, I don't have the traffic setup on my 360s, but I have the profiles and it melts at times.

When I was in traffic signs full time, most older cities would require 3m EC over lays and not deal with printed because that is how they have always done it since cut graphics were approved.

TopFliteGraphics

The Avery/Mutoh printers on Avery reflective Omni are rated for 18 years, their lower reflective is 7-8 IIRC. The 3M HP latex machines are at 10 with Diamond Grade. Printing traffic reflective on and HP that doesn't allow you to raise the carriage sucks, I don't have the traffic setup on my 360s, but I have the profiles and it melts at times.

When I was in traffic signs full time, most older cities would require 3m EC over lays and not deal with printed because that is how they have always done it since cut graphics were approved.
Yeah, I was thinking about doing overlays instead. Not sure.

For Regulated Traffic Signage, HP Latex 36x and 700/ 800 is Certified with:

3M 3930 Series High Intensity Prismatic films for 10 years (3M Traffic MCS Warranty)
3M 4000 Series Diamond Grade Reflective film for 12 years (3M Traffic MCS Warranty)

Both media require 3M laminate film 1170C and FlexPrint 3M Authorized Traffic Edition RIP software. This is for Regulated Traffic signage on public roads. Non-regulated signage located on private property does not have these requirements.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
The lam I used when I worked with the Avery Traffic traffic jets are hard (impossible even, I have tried for years) to get aside from 6060 and I had to wait for it. They sell most of that stuff direct to the end users in my experience.

ikarasu

3M Digitally printed traffic signage has a higher warranty than screen printed does now - 3M Warranties for 12 years when digitally printed on a Latex.

Screen printing inks have gotten more and more "Eco" friendly... which means screen printing is on par, or worst than digital these days.... Our competitor uses UV Screen printing inks, and his signs fade in 5-7 years - We still use solvent screen printing, and I dont think I've ever seen one fade... but I havent seen one of our latex ones fade, and I have one outdoors from about 8 years ago with no signs of failing yet. I'm sure theyre both comparable now

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber

Let me see where on 3Ms MCS warranty that they say 10years! I don’t have mine in front of me but I HIGHLY doubt they say that. I could be wrong. I carry a 3M MCS Warranty and don’t recall anything that high.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
No need to screen.

Look at Orafol site and you should see a “recommended” lamination. If not, I’d recommend a cast lamination.

Aaron Hunter

The hardest part about making street or DOT specific signs is that the spec'd materials are typically not available through traditional sign vendors. They fall under Traffic and Safety. I'd be curious if they require DoT stamps.

ikarasu

Let me see where on 3Ms MCS warranty that they say 10years! I don’t have mine in front of me but I HIGHLY doubt they say that. I could be wrong. I carry a 3M MCS Warranty and don’t recall anything that high.
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...ssories-for-traffic-sign-production-flyer.pdf on my.phone so I can't find it. Above it says "up to 12". Diamond grade is 12... And I believe the rest is 10.

IIRC, the warranty is higher for digital than it is for screens... But I haven't looked at screen printing warranty for awhile.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
IMG_7131.png