• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What material do places at the oceans and malls use on shirts?

J

john1

Hey guys, Ever see those guys in the middle of a boardwalk or a mall pressing shirts with funny designs and knock off brand designs?

What exactly is the material they use? Is it a heat transfer eco-solvent material or something else?

Just curious :thankyou:

Mike_Koval

the stock designs are screened transfers and some are cutting there own vinyl for names and other personalization. Some also using pre-cut lettering as well.

Twisted Images

it can be screen printed transfers if they are simple designs or just regular cut heat transfer material or eco-solv printed heat transfer material.

binki

the ones i have seen are plastisol transfers. basically a partially cured screen print. heat pressing it fully cures it to the shirt.

WildWestDesigns

the ones i have seen are plastisol transfers. basically a partially cured screen print. heat pressing it fully cures it to the shirt.

This is probably the 2nd most used. Airbrushed shirts tend to be the ones that are favored more around here I've noticed. The more tourist trap type of place, the more of them there are.

Cyw

Agree, most are plastisol
You can buy stock designs.....like most of them seen in malls and resort areas, or custom
Any design you want can be reproduced.
Different transfer makers have different guidelines on custom artwork

If properly made and properly heat transferred, the result is very reliable
I have custom plastisol transfer shirts that I still wear that were produced over a decade ago
On some of them, the print is in better shape than the shirt itself!

Diane

binki

I have seen the airbrush guys. Either way by the time you get done a white shirt with the customization on it runs about $35.

GB2

Old Member
I think a lot of them are using transfer paper too. I haven't gotten a good look at any of them but one that I saw seemed to be able to produce designs on demand, which could only be transfer paper, I think.

Cyw

Besides inkjet you could also do sublimation on demand......DTG on 'semi-demand'

We're located only a couple miles from Seaside Park and most all the transfers they used in our resort areas were plastisol or a variation with glitter, foil or puff added

Yes, I said Seaside and yes, I used past tense on purpose
The devastation around me is nothing short of heart wrenching

Diane

WildWestDesigns

Besides inkjet you could also do sublimation on demand......DTG on 'semi-demand'

Since GB said transfer paper, to me that would include sublimation as well since it uses transfer paper.

Yes, I said Seaside and yes, I used past tense on purpose
The devastation around me is nothing short of heart wrenching

Diane

I have quite a few digitizing customers out that way and what I have been getting from them is just awful. I hate it when things like that happen.

omgsideburns

The plastisols used to be popular here.. walk in, pick the shirt, the design and they press it for you on the spot.. The small tshirt shops are gone now and the big ones just carry preprinted designs. Airbrush is still around though because it's "touristy" on a different level.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Heat transfer material for your Roland versacamm

Hey guys, Ever see those guys in the middle of a boardwalk or a mall pressing shirts with funny designs and knock off brand designs?

What exactly is the material they use? Is it a heat transfer eco-solvent material or something else?

Just curious :thankyou:

john1, with a heat press, you are good to go with your 30" Versacamm. You could use either one of these printable products:

Roland HTM http://www.cssignsupply.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=436

http://www.cssignsupply.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=634 -OR-

FDC http://www.fdcfilms.com/series/prin...-pu-thermal-advantage-heat-transfer-film-9303

Please let me know how I may help.

synergy_jim

yep screen printed from a place like airwaves. Copyright police should shut every one of those places down..... we have one here at the local mall..... its a joke'

CS-SignSupply-TT

Coyright police?!?!

yep screen printed from a place like airwaves. Copyright police should shut every one of those places down..... we have one here at the local mall..... its a joke'

synergy_jim, I thought "...Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..." :Big Laugh

Zakk

I have not seen anyone actually airbrush in years. Heat transferred plasticol is all I see around here (South Florida) these days .

DizzyMarkus

http://www.cssignsupply.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=436

Just used some of this . I did not like the "handling" of the material-- its super thin, edges curl on full bleeds even after waiting an hour (dirs. state 30 mins) Does not stretch well on the gramet and sounds like a walmart bag once applied. Cutting is tuff on smaller letters and shapes as the silicone paper doesn't hold the material well.

I will say the printing surface prints very well. :thumb:

Markus

BobCap

I use Sihl 3197 on my Mutoh VJ1304 cut with my Graphtec 8000.

Works great, no printing problem, no contour cut problems, no weeding problems and no heat transfer problems.

I used to use it just for dark garmnets. Now I use it for everything. T shirts, tote bags anything textile.

Bob Cap