• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What material for an ice chest logo?

GRIMREAPER

I'm a bit stumped on this one. Customer wants me to place a logo on his plastic ice chest on printable media. The surface is pretty bumpy. Any sugestions? Thanks.

2B

arlon 8000

what you are talking about is a low energy surface with a textured finish, normal vinyl will NOT adhere or if it does will be for a short time

wmshuman

We just finished up graphics on 25 yeti coolers a couple months ago. The tops didn't have that really bumpy surface like some coolers, but they were by no means completely smooth. We used a really high tack adhesion vinyl from kapco and used a heat gun to set the adhesion quickly. Here is the link. We tested the durability of the graphics over a couple weeks time, leaving a cooler outside, on a boat, sitting and sliding back and forth on it, spilling stuff and cleaning it up with different cleaners, etc. and the graphics held up really well, very well actually and to the point that I was confident enough they would make it through the year, without a problem. I also told them that I would replace the graphics for up to one year from the sell date, if any were to fail.

We got the job because nobody else wanted to touch it and the ones that did (last year) used the wrong vinyl and had problems. It was obvious because they said within two weeks of having the coolers, graphics fell off. I told the customer that the there is a vinyl specifically made for that surface but it was kind of pricey and not something we normally keep in stock. The graphics were small, approximately half a square foot each and were a nightmare to weed out, but with install costs, they paid roughly $25 a piece. It took us about 4 hours for the install including travel time. We got lucky because the sample roll that was sent to us for testing purposes worked out great and had enough room to print all of the decals. Still ended up ordering a roll.

Call Chuck at Kapco and tell him you want the high tack satin vinyl made for low energy surfaces. He will hook you up. It is has a white or gray adhesion. We used the white.

BTW, IMO, if the surface is really bumpy, I would do as visual800 said, and walk away. Nothing will permanently stick that surface and hold up over time. Well, never say never, but you got to look at whether the job is really worth it or not. In my instance, it was. Good luck.

x2chris7x

We've done this before using 3M IJ-180C3 and also Oracal 3165RA. We also applied 3M Primer 94 before install... This helps a ton.

ddubia

I just talked to Chuck Lazor from Kapco this morning. He sent me an email of a product they have which is a very strong adhesive and he says is good for low energy surfaces. Doubt you wanna buy a whole roll for just a cooler but the info is:

PSA 3.5 mil Semi-Gloss White BO Vinyl Gray High Tack Adhesive
• For applications in cold temperature enviornments and with lightly textured and/or low energy surfaces
• Features a gray pigmented adhesive for use where an opaque application is required.
• Compatible with OEM Solvent, Latex & UV Curable Inks.

SOL/35SGCAL/54HTP PSA 3.5 mil Semi-Gloss Wht Vinyl High Tack Gray Perm 54"x150

He says it can be applied in cold temperatures above 32 degrees.

I hope it's ok I add his phone number to contact him:
Office: (800) 791-8963 ext. 139

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
most of those plastic bins and containers have a percentage of teflon in them to help things not stick to them .... between that, the high tooth to the texture and the high oil content ... good luck.

Someone showed something like this a while ago http://youtu.be/DbMiC8u7P_Y for Yeti coolers ... something like this would work, but you are melting it onto the plastic ... just about the only way. ... or paint.

MikePro

+1 for Arlon 8000. Stuff is AWESOME!
I just did a couple-dozen coolers for a client of ours, decals all-over them. Even sticks to porous wood, like doors & beat-up/chipped MDO's that clients bring-in to "add a quick phone number"

NateF

Are they stuck on using a cooler that they currently have? We had a customer come in with a similar request for a one-of-a-kind gift (that they weren't afraid to spend money on if we could do it). We ended up buying a new cooler, but one that had a metal exterior and a chrome handle. 3M IJ40 with lam for a couple decals, and the customer couldn't have been happier.