• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help What material for Dimensional Letters?

Go for a walk around a shopping mall or city streets and have a look. It's very educational!

And? From what I understand a number of materials, foam included, that can not be used with laser because of hazardous fumes.
I’m looking for safe, laserable materials that would be thicker than single layer acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
PVC is lethal, vinyl is the same, stick with acrylic...
Some timber can be lasered, but the reality is why would you bother- routing is quicker.
Stick with cast acrylic.
I spent all day lasering 25mm thick single layer acrylic... how much thicker are you wanting it to be - you've omitted any useful measurement of thickness.
I've also doubled up 2 layers- no problems.

customquint

Typically if we use the laser for letters we use acrylic,. But we normally us our CNC router for letters have have way more options for material.

GVP

I would think focusing with that kind of thickness of material would be problematic with a laser. Like others have said, a router is more useful for that kind of job. You could, of course, get into channel letters - the laser would be good for cutting out the faces.

studawg

Are they any/many choices of material for laser cut letters of 1-2”?
Both indoor & outdoor uses?
Thx

G'day mate.
It's my understanding that there are different power ranges for lasercutters. For example - only some are powerful enough to be able to cut acrylic or wood, and then others with higher outputs that can cut stainless steel or aluminium as well.
Personally I don't have one in my factory but I do have companies that I can outsource the job to. I've had lettering done in stainless that look great. Maybe consider finding out if there are locals in your area that you can get onboard with what you are looking at doing. Works well for me.

Stuart