• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What material to use on pool table felt?

IsItFasst

Got a buddy that wants me to make little marker dots with his company information on it to mark where the rack goes on the felt. But I'm not sure what to use. He doesn't want it too thick but if I use thin vinyl or no lamination it seems to look horrible by the next day. Some felt manufacturers provide decals that look to be made out of some type of fabric. And others it appears to be a standard vinyl.

Anyone have experience with this type of decal?

EINSIGN

are the current ones still in good nick? i havent heard of any vinyl for felt type of fabric before. i guess you would want something with a matt style finish so it doesnt interfere with the ball speed

ucmj22

if it was me I would go with the heat transfer. It would have a much better bond and color fastness; However it would be hard to change out. never looked in to removing a heat transfer decal.

DRamm76

General Formulations makes a solid Carpet Graphic which will hold up really well without having to worry about the pool balls getting stopped up on the graphics. PM me for more info

mdowner

Does it have to be vinyl?

I'd suggest getting a paint mask material, you cut and weed out the sections you need. Overlay in correct position, and use a fabric paint/dye to create the effect you require.

IsItFasst

Well they are just wanting something real quick and painless to install at the end of the job. Normally when you recover a pool table with new felt they provide a new dot. Sometimes it is blank and other times it has the felt manufacturers information on it. The installers want a dot with their name on it so it would be too small to make as a paint mask (since it is only about a 1 inch diameter decal).

The GF carpet stuff might work assuming it isn't too thick and comes in 30 inch wide rolls. I really hate to purchase a huge roll of the stuff when only a few yards should last me a lifetime of decals for these guys.

IsItFasst

Well screen print won't work as this has to be put on after the felt is installed. Plus they only want to spend under a $1 per decal so screen printing wouldn't work. Maybe an image would help explain what I am looking to replicate. Here is a sheet of the "spots",

100_0177.JPG

Flame

Well screen print won't work as this has to be put on after the felt is installed. Plus they only want to spend under a $1 per decal so screen printing wouldn't work. Maybe an image would help explain what I am looking to replicate. Here is a sheet of the "spots",

100_0177.JPG

Sure it will. Make a small screen, 1 squeegee, one container of ink, and a hair dryer. Plop screen on table, press, swipe, blow dryer until cured....done.

Far less footprint than a decal, total install time, 2-3 minutes tops? A 5 year old could pull it off.

IsItFasst

Well if screen printing is "the only way to go" why do felt manufacturers give out decals with their felt? I agree that screen printing would look great but I'm not sure a customer wants a permanent advertisement on their new felt. With a decal, they can replace it with a blank dot if they want.

IsItFasst

Wow, I can't believe no one ever plays on a table that has a decal for a spot. 90% of tables are this way and you guys are acting like I'm crazy for trying to replicate something that is extremely common.