• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What should I be making? Graphics Dept Head

wiplash859

Not gonna lie, these responses have me a little worried. Now obviously we do this type of work because we love it BUT love isn't going to pay my rent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k5ooaufrLM). To give you an idea the average studio apartment (aka closet with a bed) in this area is $1200. I realize that we are not attorneys or investment bankers but I'd like to think that with the right skill set and determination a person in this industry should be able to make a comfortable living. However, that is not the impression I've gotten on this board and through the years. I even had one potential employer tell me "you don't get into the sign business to make money". The fact that this was the owner of a business talking simply boggled my mind. I will say that I believe it is a lot more challenging for sign businesses to have the luxury of a high profit margin given the high potential for errors during the whole process. Is there a realm of the graphics industry that would offer a higher earning potential like working for a tradeshow or POP specialty business? Also thanks for all of the responses...i'm glad this developed into a good discussion. I promise I'm not a greedy or materialistic person...just somebody who wants to take a decent vacation every once in a while and maybe buy a new Metallic Slalte Nissan Altima Coupe.

SignosaurusRex

26 years old....6 years exp. in the trade and multiple degrees in an unrelated field. That does (whether you like it or not) have implications that an employer may ponder. On another note.....did you ever give any thought at all during your 6 years in the trade, as to what kind of income you could expect in the future if you remained in the trade? What made you decide to go after degrees in an unrelated (which apparently did not work out) field? Why do you not know what you should be making, or rather....what your union pay scale is in this trade? Welcome to the real world. It's time to quit shooting from the hip....and take a careful and calculated aim.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'm well paid for my area... hired as an experienced graphics person with lots of proven technical ability... but it's not all I do...

I also handle customers, source vendors and products, do quotes, jump when the boss hollers and clean the bathrooms if they need them....

The 26 yo guy we just fired couldn't adapt to that. He was our production/vinyl install guy and made about $3 over the usual wage in our area ($13) for what he did. Except he felt like if it wasn't table work or if it was too hot out... he didn't need to do it... hence his firing.

My best advice on how to make money in this industry is to adapt. No one is irreplaceable but I do my damnedest to make them think I am. Even when my head is thinking "It really sucks that I'm cleaning this toilet"... in reality - it doesn't matter. I make the same there or in front of the computer.

There are shops that will pay well for a skill set. Making money in the sign biz IS possible... you just gotta work at it...

(and FYI... I'm twenty years older than you... with experience that matches that time... but I was always fairly well paid because I knew my stuff and wasn't shy about showing it. But don't expect top-end wages when you are 26 and only have 6 yrs of experience...)

andy

Not gonna lie, these responses have me a little worried. Now obviously we do this type of work because we love it BUT love isn't going to pay my rent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k5ooaufrLM). To give you an idea the average studio apartment (aka closet with a bed) in this area is $1200. I realize that we are not attorneys or investment bankers but I'd like to think that with the right skill set and determination a person in this industry should be able to make a comfortable living. However, that is not the impression I've gotten on this board and through the years. I even had one potential employer tell me "you don't get into the sign business to make money". The fact that this was the owner of a business talking simply boggled my mind. I will say that I believe it is a lot more challenging for sign businesses to have the luxury of a high profit margin given the high potential for errors during the whole process. Is there a realm of the graphics industry that would offer a higher earning potential like working for a tradeshow or POP specialty business? Also thanks for all of the responses...i'm glad this developed into a good discussion. I promise I'm not a greedy or materialistic person...just somebody who wants to take a decent vacation every once in a while and maybe buy a new Metallic Slalte Nissan Altima Coupe.

The sign industry has seen the barriers to entry systematically removed, this has caused immeasurable damage to the profitability of shops and the amounts of profit which are available for rewarding staff.

A constant churn of new operators and operators who've tried and failed creates a process of price erosion; new people price cheap to build market share, failing shops price cheap in a last gasp to stay above water. This has the effect of driving down price expectations for customers.... these cheap prices are only envisaged as short term measures by the sign shops but quickly become the established median price for the product; customers equate these cheap prices as reflecting fair "market value" and are extremely reluctant to accept that the true price is much higher. This creates a downward spiral in prices; subsequent new entrants take the previous "new" price and revise it down further. Pretty soon the revolving door starts turning ever faster as it becomes impossible for anyone to actually earn a decent living.

When the buying public are conditioned to pay cheap prices it's not surprising to find that sign shops find it very difficult to generate the kind of profits which enable them to reward their staff with a wage which accurately reflects their skills and efforts... the money just isn't there.

For those of us who've been around this industry for a long time this situation is entirely predictable.... as more people want a piece of the sign pie the smaller the slices get... pretty soon everyone is left with such as small piece that it becomes impossible to achive the kind of lifestyle they'd hoped for.

This problem has two root causes; people who are sign makers first and business owners second and people who really aren't cut out for the trade but refuse to accept the reality of the situation.

If you don't view every aspect of your sign shop with a business head you quickly lose track of profitability, you might make great work but without a cold business head on your shoulders you can fool yourself into thinking that you earn a lot more than you really do... there are many shops in my market which slog their guts out to generate a profit of less than 5%.

People who aren't suited to sign work don't have the expertise to provide professional work which can carry a premium price.... so they churn out cr@p sugar coated in an ultra low price. This just conditions customers to expect even lower prices for the sign products.

Given the appalling state of American and European economies I think Gino has hit the nail firmly on the head; right now you need to be thankful that you have a job which pays reasonably well. There are millions of poor unfortunate souls looking for work; if you call your employers bluff there are armies of people who'd love to have your job.

InkjetAuction

Union pay...

Changes are happening in the union world... as job functions and technologies evolve.

In the world that I came from (union color pre-press & large format graphics) the pay way high. I was (and am still a non-voting member) of GCIU/Teamsters. This is in the Boston-area.

When I left that shop back in 2004, an Application Technician (similar skill-set to what you are describing) had an hourly rate of $26/hr, 39-hr work week, 100% medical/dental, and you could bank on $10-15k of overtime each year. A lead man got an additional $1/hr.

Today, those same guys are getting over $30/hr and full benefits. (There are young guys in their 20's earning the same as men in their 50's with 30 yrs experience. The job is the job in their eyes)

...Why did I leave that gig again??? Oh, yeah, now I remember. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with union bullshit.

~E

CES020

I get the feeling you think you should be making $60,000-75,000 per year, working for someone else. If that's an accurate feeling I'm getting, then you best start looking for another vocation in my opinion. There are a lot of sign shop owners on this forum, big and small, and I'd venture to guess that all of them combined can count the number of people making that kind of money on one hand.

If they do have people making that money, it's probably because they worked a ton of overtime, which was billable to the customer, not a flat rate salary.

mikefine

The "realm of the graphics industry that would offer a higher earning potential"
would be in sales. If you can bring in new business, you are perceived as a higher value to a company, and hence receive more compensation. And that includes many other industries these days besides the sign business.

If your ambition is financial based, sign and graphics
production is not the way to go....

John Butto

Why ask?

"I have experience in nearly all aspects of the sign business and I am proficient in all popular design software."

If you have that much experience in the sign business you should know what you should be making.

Like usual SignosaurusRex nailed it on the head. When I first read this original post a few things just didnt make sense to me. In a union situation I have only on one account seen a system in place where the payrate was not set and as clear as could be no questions..it is what it is. No room for misinterpretation.

I know people who make very good money in the sign industry. They are either incredible installers, very efficient, amazing troubleshooters and are able to get the job done without returning to the shop, very rarely receiving call backs from clients ,etc.

I know fabricators that make great money..they are handed a list of tasks, they work unsupervised, they produce a great product, they are efficient, professional, reliable ,etc.

I know sales people that make great money they are self motivated, they build new markets, they manage those markets and generate profits for their employers.

and then there are the rest...the majority of superstar employees, that see the big picture usually become business owners themselves.

one of the sayings I think every company that I have consulted for has heard me say is 'that there are two types of employees...money makers and money takers...if you are a money taker...you'd better watch out" companies will keep employees that make them a profit, if an employee costs a company money you'd better be on the hunt for a new job.

There are areas in the U.S. where a very experienced fabricator can make $60-70K per year.
In my area there are sign shop employees with 10-15yrs experience, with electrical licenses, that would be superstars at any sign shop in the nation and they would be lucky to make $16 an hour in this area, when I had my shop in Portland I couldnt hire employees to sweep my warehouse for less than $15 an hour in the late 90's early 2000's. The part of the country plays a big part in this. The focus of the company plays a big part in this as well...shops that focus on different areas of the sign industry pay more than others for example the shops that manufacture trade show exhibits or monuments tend to pay significantly more than the shops that produce vehicle magnets and corro signs.

Wages are all over the place based on your skill level, the needs of the company hiring, the financial stability of that company, the value they place on your skill set...you might be the hottest designer in the nation but if they need someone simply run their printer your design skills aren't of much value to them.

I often tell job hunters that if it is a company that you believe has potential, that you believe in their philosophy, their vision, etc it may be worth a gamble...get in the door, do your best...do more than your best. But if you see signs that it might not be a company that is a good fit for you keep hunting, there are good companies out there. There are companies you can grow with.

But if you go into the shop and everyone is playing scrabble, throwing darts while they are waiting for the phone to ring...well it might be a real fun place to work but it also may be a pretty good sign that they are not real focused on growth, sales, etc. myself I would rather work for a company that is focused on growing, focused on being the best that they can be so that they grow and we all make more money.

By the way I've seen a company where everyone sat aroudn and played scrabble and threw darts while waiting for customers and I've seen some that where even less motivated than that lol.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I agree with SignosorusRex as well... I worked at a union shop and was given info and journeyman level/job descriptions and pay scales. You should know or have been told the next pay hike for the job.

Looking at your "skills" it only has equipment and software... who really cares. Most of the equipment can be done by a monkey with half a brain stem. It's like being good a pushing a pencil... If your Auto-Cad skills with knowledge of how a sign is built are high, you have designed 100k pylons or 1 million dollar hospital ADA jobs, crank out thousands of square feet a day more than the average production grunt, then that would be impressive and you should be compensated well. You mention you "have experience in nearly all aspects of the sign business"... very bold claim and at the same time, vague.

I have worked at quite a few shops, only 2 paid well. I got paid way more working at a design firm and on my own.