• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What should I be making? Graphics Dept Head

wiplash859

I have recently taken a job with a large union sign company (60+ people) in one of the largest cities on the East coast. I was hired to run 1 flatbed printer, 3 various wide format printers, and on occasion, 2 4ft plotters. The idea was that I would master those within a few months to become head of the graphics department. The department currently consists of 4 full time employees and the occasional rotating help. I am 26 years old and I have 6+ years experience in the sign industry. I graduated from college in '06 though my degrees were in an unrelated field (couldn't resist this industry). I have experience in nearly all aspects of the sign business and I am proficient in all popular design software.

MY QUESTION: Given my success at this company so far I believe that I will be offered the promotion, however, I am finding it hard to determine what I should be making. I am terrified that I will sell myself short, but at the same time I don't want my boss's head to explode when we start talking numbers. Obviously exact numbers will be impossible but what should I be making assuming I am offered the promotion? Is an hourly rate or a salary typical for this type of position? Any input you all can offer is greatly appreciated!

If it helps here's a list of my hardware/software knowledge:

lotters & Printers
Roland Soljet 740

HP Scitex FB 910 Fladbed printer

Cannon IPF 8000

Epson Pro 9000

Roland 48” plotter

Mimaki JV-33-160

Graphtec FC8000-130 54" Plotter

GBC Arctic Titan 54” Lamina
Signmaking & Graphics Software
Adobe Illustrator CS4

Adobe Photoshop CS4

Omega Composer

Microsoft Office 2008

AutoCAD

Roland Versaworks

RasterLink Pro II

Activity POS

Flexi Sign Pro

Corel Draw X3

Sticky Signs

I was hired to run 1 flatbed printer, 3 various wide format printers, and on occasion, 2 4ft plotters. The idea was that I would master those within a few months to become head of the graphics department.

Wow, that's a lot of stuff to master in a few months. Not to mention having to master the "head of the graphics department" part. Best of luck with that.

Not sure how to put a dollar value to it (too many variables), but I think you're wage should reflect your responsibility within the company.

p3

I said $13.75 cause he has not quite mastered all the equipment yet. Plus, gives another promotion to look forward to.

wraprat

Normally when you take a job with a Union sign shop you will recieve a set journeymens wage Plus an extra dollar or two above scale to head up the department.

ProWraps

sign industry tops out at $20/hour for an employee as far as ive seen. it will take you a while to get there.

threeputt

I think those estimates are low. I pay my right hand man (we're not a large company, much less a union shop) about 38K.

He doesn't have the training you do on all those programs, but he's been here 11 years. Can run all of the equipment and pretty familiar with all the programs.

Also, large cities pay more than podunk cities out here.

I would imagine your pay scale should be somewhere around 42K or up, depending on cost of living issues. Aren't large cities, NY, Philly, Boston, DC etc, going to be higher just because of COL issues?

2972renfro

Yeah, I thought 20/hr was low on ProWraps in California. Don't houses cost half a mil while you can get the same for 200 in the Midwest?

Craig Sjoquist

At least $20 per hour .. if you have ..real design ... more but with only 6 yrs I doubt it
or who does that in a union shop ... if you just run machines you will be replaced with in 10 years so carfull

DigiWriter

As someone from Kentucky who now lives in Washington DC, I can tell you that wages & cost of living are very different in those 2 places. In KY, out of college you would probably start out at $10/hour. In WDC, you would probably start out at $15/hour. In KY a 4BR house is $100,000-$150,000. In Maryland (suburbs of DC) a 4BR house is $400,000-who knows how much.

Where you are living is going to make a big big difference what you are hearing in reply to this post.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I really don't know what you're worth, but I would imagine if you learned and understood your job and became more and more indispensable, you'd eventually become more valuable thus worth more. However, if you get too good, you'll price yourself right out of a job. Ever hear of someone being overqualified ?? I don't think you're there yet, but if I was you, I'd be grateful I have a job in today's economy and job market and just be content to make good bucks.

Jillbeans

For comparison purposes, my dear friend works for a union sign shop.
He gets $16/hour + bennies etc. last time we talked about $$
(which is something I usually never talk about with friends)
He always wants to get me in there (I'd love it) but I have to start out as a journeyman wall paperer!
I mean I know how to wall paper but I'd rather make signs.
His shop does CNC, printing, vinyl, and also a lot lot lot of painting.
He's not the department head but he knows more about layout and sign painting than I ever will.
He's been there about 15 years now I think.
Love....Jill

SignosaurusRex

If you are working in a union shop then you must already be a union member and you should know what the pay scales are. Those pay scales are a set rate of pay for ones position or job one performs, regardless of other skills, experience, education etc. and is generally non-negotiable. A shop of that size most likely has a shop steward who is essentially the company employees union rep. You might want to speak with that individual, otherwise the union.

dlndesign

I guess what it comes down to is what you want. How much are you making now, how much do you think your worth, and find a median. But I have never worked at a union shop, so I can't tell ya what I'd ask for in that situation.

Patrick46

I've been in the sign industry for 30+ years now. With the local economy the way it is, and due to a few other reasons I won't go into...
I've been offered a job in a very creative, similar field. I can keep my shop open on the side, and my new employer needs signwork for their displays...so I bring that to the plate as well. Naturally, I was hoping for a bit more than they offered...however, they nailed my basement figure on the first try...so It's all good.
My point is, that with all the years of experience, and with the equipment I own to do these jobs...I autta be making fat money for my skills & experience. I WILL be getting a good living wage, and I won't have to declair bankruptcy, or lose my house. Plus, the job is doing something that I ENJOY doing. To push that issue these days is employment suicide in my mind. Gino nailed it with this one...
I'd be grateful I have a job in today's economy and job market and just be content to make good bucks.